Linux Document Management

Post by Gareth Webb » Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Does anybody know of a document management system for Linux? Any free unix
based system will do if it comes with sources.

gary...

--

                     "If youth knew; if age could."

Linux Document Management

Post by Dave Eat » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Does anybody know of a document management system for Linux? Any free unix
: based system will do if it comes with sources.

You may want to look into CVS ... it sits on top of RCS and can be used for
code or documents ... it may not do what you really want for doc. mgmt,
but it satisfies "free" and "Linux".

For more info about it, check the comp.software.config-mgmt FAQ at:
  http://www.iac.honeywell.com/Pub/Tech/CM/

--
 (These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my company.)
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+

|Honeywell Inc. - IAC              | FAX:    (602)313-4064            |
|16404 N Black Canyon Highway      | voice:  (602)313-5094            |
|Phoenix, AZ 85023                 | HED:    AZ15/2E8                 |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+

Linux Document Management

Post by Steffen W. Schil » Sun, 15 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Does anybody know of a document management system for Linux? Any free unix
: based system will do if it comes with sources.

I think there is a gnu thing called Aegis which you could might "mis-use" as
a document management system (or write one by yourself :-)

--
[Standard Disclaimer] in addition I would like to speak with my lawyer ....

Linux Document Management

Post by Gareth Webb » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: I think there is a gnu thing called Aegis which you could might "mis-use" as
: a document management system (or write one by yourself :-)

I am more just looking for a database with a document "type" as I do not
envision multiple versions. I am really just looking to dump in files and be
able to the look them up by subject, author etc and be able to follow
corresponance threads by looking at Your ref:/ My ref:.

I guess it is time to write my own. Are there other people out there (using
unix type systems) who are interested in this type of thing? Any idea what
features I should add having used other documentation management systems?

gary...

--

                     "If youth knew; if age could."

Linux Document Management

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: I think there is a gnu thing called Aegis which you could might "mis-use" as
>: a document management system (or write one by yourself :-)

>I am more just looking for a database with a document "type" as I do not
>envision multiple versions. I am really just looking to dump in files and be
>able to the look them up by subject, author etc and be able to follow
>corresponance threads by looking at Your ref:/ My ref:.

>I guess it is time to write my own. Are there other people out there (using
>unix type systems) who are interested in this type of thing? Any idea what
>features I should add having used other documentation management systems?

I would suggest not reinventing the wheel *completely;* there are some
fairly sophisticated text database tools out there that would be helpful.

Glimpse comes to mind...
http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu

If you take any reasonably-ASCII-like text format, you can drop a bunch of
files into a directory and search them using Glimpse.
--

Web: http://www.conline.com/~cbbrowne  SAP Basis Consultant, UNIX Guy
Windows NT - How to make a 100 MIPS Linux workstation perform like an 8 MHz 286

Linux Document Management

Post by Jonathan Mag » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: I think there is a gnu thing called Aegis which you could might "mis-use" as
>: a document management system (or write one by yourself :-)

>I am more just looking for a database with a document "type" as I do not
>envision multiple versions. I am really just looking to dump in files and be
>able to the look them up by subject, author etc and be able to follow
>corresponance threads by looking at Your ref:/ My ref:.

If I'm understanding what you want, you could use Isearch. Isearch is
a freeware full text search engine (like freeWAIS, which was also from CNIDR,
the organization that produces Isearch) written in C++. It uses a document
parsing modules called DOCTYPE's to define document-specific fields
and parsing.

Doing searches for things like author and subject are easy. One could
use the SGMLNORM (normalized SGML) doctype, for example:

<author>Dr. Fred Mbogo</author>
<subject>Dental Appointment Next Week</subject>

In this document, Isearch, with the sgmlnorm doctype would recognize
author and subject and SGML fields, and let you search on them
specifically.

I'm not sure what "correspondance threads" are, but you could probably
subclass the sgmlnorm doctype and add that functionality pretty
easily.

More information on Isearch (as well as Isearch-cgi, a CGI interface
to the search engine, and Isite, a Z39.50 interface) can be found at
http://www.cnidr.org.

cheers,
jem.

Co-author of The Web Server Book, available July, '95 from Ventana Press
<URL:http://www.vmedia.com/cat/press/store/wsb>

Linux Document Management

Post by Sami Lempin » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

>: Does anybody know of a document management system for Linux? Any free unix
>: based system will do if it comes with sources.

> You may want to look into CVS ... it sits on top of RCS and can be used for
> code or documents ... it may not do what you really want for doc. mgmt,
> but it satisfies "free" and "Linux".

A version control system hardly carries out the functions that are required
from a good DMS. Then again, I only have experince with RCS, so I cannot
speak for CVS here.

Anyhow, I do not currently know of a free implementation of a document
management system. But there's an excellent O-O DB available, called
Postgres95. It has a large object I/F, which means that among other things
you can shove in whole binary files. For instance (from the top of my head)

CREATE TABLE Document (
  title     text,
  id        char8,
  author    char16,
  date      date,
  body      lo
)

where lo stands for large object, such as a text file. It has a nice C API,
which should have you going withing hours.

Hope this helps,

Linux Document Management

Post by pe » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]
> > You may want to look into CVS ... it sits on top of RCS and can be used for
> > code or documents ... it may not do what you really want for doc. mgmt,
> > but it satisfies "free" and "Linux".

> A version control system hardly carries out the functions that are required
> from a good DMS. Then again, I only have experince with RCS, so I cannot
> speak for CVS here.

> Anyhow, I do not currently know of a free implementation of a document
> management system. But there's an excellent O-O DB available, called
> Postgres95.

[%X]

Having spent quite a bit of time recently looking at various products, it
seems you get what you are willing to pay for. I have looked at packages at
the expensive and innexpensive end of the market.

I shall extract from the report I am producing for my client to eliminate
references that are specific to my clients business and post the edited
report here. If there are others out there who have conducted similar
excercises I shall be interested to read them.

My own focus has been for a development environment for software and some
hardware where the end products require certication that is backed up by
traceability requirements. I have identified two main product price ranges
which will suit different perspective views. These are in full blown document
management and "Version and Change Control Systems".  In both cases more than
one product is required to perform the task.

The environment we are dealing with is a partnership development situation
where the development teams are globally separate but conceptually cohesive.

--

Transport Control Technology Ltd.
Tel: +44 (0)117-9499861

1. Document management question!

Hello,

I work for a company that runs the following environment:

OS:                 Freebsd for Intel machines
Database:        Mysql
Languages:      Perl, C

We have a need to create a document management warehouse where
we can do the following:

1. take MS/word docs and save them to a database.
2. be able to search those docs for words/phases and display a list of
which documents
    contain the words/phrases.
3. Be able to view the word documents that contain the phrases/words
with a www/browser.
4. Be able to print the documents back out in MS/Word format.

An additional item is:

1. To be able to scan document into the Database (mysql).

I am basically looking for suggestions, maybe from someone who has done
something similar,
on what they found to be the best combination of tools/software to do
this.
We are open, with a limited budget, to paying for a bundled product that
would fit nicely into our
above mentioned environment.

Thanks for any ideas, thoughts on this question!

Gary Artim
Drogin, Kakigi and Associates

2. C program interface w/Bourne shell script: how to have global env. vars?

3. ArabDox, Multilingual Document Management System

4. Writers/Wanted/nycAgency

5. Document Management Video

6. I want to use my Mustek WCam 300 (USB)

7. Visionary in Integrated Document and Output Management

8. Script to telnet to remote units and execute commands

9. Document Management Video

10. Document Management

11. any opensource document management softwares?

12. a powerfull document management system?

13. document management system