Wine or not Wine ?

Post by Benjamin Gon » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

I would know if Wine (the Windows Emulator for Linux) is running poorly,
normally or +/- well ? In other words, i'd like to know how Wine is
running nowadays. Has somebody ever try & run it ?
Thanks.

--

   Fidonet : 2:293/2218.13

Wine or not Wine ?

Post by Chris Evan » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> I would know if Wine (the Windows Emulator for Linux) is running poorly,
> normally or +/- well ? In other words, i'd like to know how Wine is
> running nowadays. Has somebody ever try & run it ?
> Thanks.

I've run Wine for a while, and am generally up to date (although I've yet
to try the latest patchlevel).

Basically, the state it appears to be in is this:

Small Windog apps run flawlessly/almost flawlessly. By this, I mean if
you're a minesweeper, reversi or solitare *, these run fine.

Big MS apps are now starting to load. For example, I recently fired up MS
Word v6, which presented me with a blank page. The menu options work, ie
I made a quick table and put a border around it. But fonts are knackered,
and general graphics corruption spoils things to the extent that the
package is unusable. But they're getting there.

Still other applications crash on loadup; netscape and Word Perfect to name
two.

But over the last few patchlevels, development is going on at a large rate.

Cheers,
Chris.

Wine or not Wine ?

Post by Ruediger Berli » Tue, 07 May 1996 04:00:00

: > Hi all,
: >
[...]

There is another Windows-Emulator for Linux. Check out www.willows.com .
It's free for private use as far as I know.
Bye, R.

Wine or not Wine ?

Post by Uwe Bonn » Wed, 08 May 1996 04:00:00

:
: : > Hi all,
: : >
: : > I would know if Wine (the Windows Emulator for Linux) is running poorly,
: : > normally or +/- well ? In other words, i'd like to know how Wine is
: : > running nowadays. Has somebody ever try & run it ?
: : > Thanks.
:

: There is another Windows-Emulator for Linux. Check out www.willows.com .
: It's free for private use as far as I know.
: Bye, R.

Willow's twin isn't target to be an emulator! It's behaviour as a cross
development library for windows programs may be good, but I think in the
emulation subject, wine is in advance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Another issue: If you ever think of contributing to wine, don't get the
willows code. The licence you must agree to get the code is very restrictive
for developper, as I understand it. Again: Correct me if I am wrong.

1. Wine,wine,wine - I need help with wine

Help
I down loaded and installed Wine to Linux 2.0.22 and Xwindows (XFree).
I think it's installed correctly.  I am getting a 'drive not found/path
not found' error.  I have my wine.conf in the right place (I think).
I'm using Win95 and hda3 and Linux on hda1.  I need a reality check.  Is
it hard to set up Wine?  Does someone have a working wine.conf file that
might guide me to a working wine.   Wine,wine,wine and beer. Ok I'll
stop wineing

Thanks
George

*                                                *
*   -----(((( Every Dog Has His Day ))))-----    *
*       ( to stay on the porch and bark )        *
*                                                *
*                George Dunham                   *
*            "Crappy Computers Ink"              *

*     http://www.sni.net/~gdunham/gdunh.htm      *
*    arf             |\__/\                      *
*        arf arf     / oo \_                     *
*             arf    | o  | \                    *
*                arf  \()/   \   )               *

2. Solaris 8 Performance Problems

3. KDevelop and Wine, MFC, C++, Wine stability

4. dselect in Debian

5. WINE - wine.conf

6. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

7. Wine=NT like DOSemu=DOS (was Re: wctype.h (was: Wine release 971221))

8. how to make # files > 64?

9. wine: port does not build

10. Not exactly a KDE ?, but need help with WINE

11. wine (the software, not the drink)

12. wine does not work

13. wine does not run on Cyrix P166+ ???