help: need gdb with pthread support?

help: need gdb with pthread support?

Post by y che » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00



I do not know if gdb4.18 support pthread. I need
debug pthread porgramming, can anyone point
me to some url so I can get that (HJ Lu)'s gdb?
Thank you very much!
 
 
 

help: need gdb with pthread support?

Post by war » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00




Quote:>I do not know if gdb4.18 support pthread. I need
>debug pthread porgramming, can anyone point
>me to some url so I can get that (HJ Lu)'s gdb?
>Thank you very much!

I have the same problem.
It seems that gdb4.18 does not have the patch that exist
for the 4.17. I found the patch at
http://ww.gr.opengroup.org/java/jdk/linux/debug.htm
as clearly stated the FAQ about LinuxThreads rel.0.8.

Because I have gdb4.18 installed, if I cannot find a patch for it,
Ill'be forced to install the gdb4.17, apply the pach and rebuild it.
I couldn't find the RPM version of the patched gdb4.17 at
 http://odin/appliedtheory/com
which could save me a gret deal of work on my stripped machine.

Of course if anybody knows of a gdb4.18 patch, I'll be glad to know it
either ;-)))

Bye
Valentino

         Warp
  - Trekker inside -

 
 
 

help: need gdb with pthread support?

Post by Stan Sheb » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00



> It seems that gdb4.18 does not have the patch that exist
> for the 4.17.

Yes, this is true.

Quote:> Of course if anybody knows of a gdb4.18 patch, I'll be glad to know it
> either ;-)))

It's in the works, although I don't have a good idea of the schedule.
There is some thread support in the post-4.18 GDB in Cygnus' Code
Fusion product, you could try getting those sources and see how they
work.

                                                        Stan Shebs
                                                        Cygnus Solutions

 
 
 

help: need gdb with pthread support?

Post by Kelly Burkhar » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00





> >I do not know if gdb4.18 support pthread. I need
> >debug pthread porgramming, can anyone point
> >me to some url so I can get that (HJ Lu)'s gdb?
> >Thank you very much!

> I have the same problem.
> It seems that gdb4.18 does not have the patch that exist
> for the 4.17. I found the patch at
> http://ww.gr.opengroup.org/java/jdk/linux/debug.htm
> as clearly stated the FAQ about LinuxThreads rel.0.8.

> Because I have gdb4.18 installed, if I cannot find a patch for it,
> Ill'be forced to install the gdb4.17, apply the pach and rebuild it.
> I couldn't find the RPM version of the patched gdb4.17 at
>  http://odin/appliedtheory/com
> which could save me a gret deal of work on my stripped machine.

> Of course if anybody knows of a gdb4.18 patch, I'll be glad to know it
> either ;-)))

> Bye
> Valentino

>          Warp
>   - Trekker inside -

The rpm that comes with RH 5.2 has thread support.  I downloaded the
SRPMS for glibc (2.0.7.something) and gdb (4.17.something) and
successfully built and ran them on my RH 5.1 machine (with lots of
other updates).  I wouldn't try RH 5.2 binary RPMs on a non RH 5.2
system.

Both SRPMS were pretty close to what I was already running on my
system so this was a pretty low risk operation...

--
Kelly R. Burkhart

[The litigation] industry was, of course, up and running before the
tobacco litigation, but that taught lawyers just how lucrative it
could be to blame individuals' foolishness on, say, Joe Camel.
   -- George F. Will

 
 
 

1. HELP! GDB & pthread support

Hi there.
I'm 3.0-RELEASE user.
I made some test programs which uses pthread library.
It worked very well.
After getting successful results, I tried to use GDB to get detailed
thread specific information.
But I could not see created threads in GDB.
The GDB command 'info threads' just print nothing as if it do not have
any threads.
No thread related commands work.

GDB in 3.0-RELEASE does not support threads?
Or is there any other ways to let GDB know threads?

Another question, when I link pthread application with '-lc_r' option ,
linker complains like this.
gcc -o mytest  a.o b.o c.o -lc_r

/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  des_setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  encrypt(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING!  des_cipher(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses f_prealloc(), which is
stupid.

When I use '-pthread' option instead of '-lc_r', the linker says
nothing.
gcc -pthread -o mytest a.o b.o c.o

Is there any fundamental difference between '-lc_r' and '-pthread'
option?

Thanks.


2. How to read in files in Drive C with Unix?

3. GDB support for pthreads under Linux?

4. FAQ: Sun Computer Administration Frequently Asked Questions

5. HELP! Need help compiling gdb-4.5

6. what is the command to disconnect my modem?

7. pthreads and gdb

8. PCI Hotplug Drivers for 2.5

9. pthreads, GDB, Segmantation fault

10. gdb extension for POSIX pthreads

11. gdb & pthreads in Alpha linux 2.0.36

12. GLIBC2 + pthreads + gdb?

13. gdb and pthreads hang