What are the most popular means of doing web development?

What are the most popular means of doing web development?

Post by Johann Bla » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:25:39

I am new to Linux and would like to know what are the most popular
means of developing distributed applications for the Internet.

The web server applications must support XML web services using SOAP.

Please indicate the following:

* Most popular programming languages
* Most popular development tools
* Are there any tools that allow the creation and usage of XML Web
Services
* What kind of support do the development tools have for XML
* Can the development tools easily separate the business logic from
the GUI
* Most popular databases
* What kinds of interfaces does the business logic use to access
databases

Thank you for you help
Johann Blake

What are the most popular means of doing web development?

Post by Christopher Brown » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:55:24

Quote:> I am new to Linux and would like to know what are the most popular
> means of developing distributed applications for the Internet.

> The web server applications must support XML web services using SOAP.

> Please indicate the following:

> * Most popular programming languages
> * Most popular development tools
> * Are there any tools that allow the creation and usage of XML Web
> Services
> * What kind of support do the development tools have for XML
> * Can the development tools easily separate the business logic from
> the GUI
> * Most popular databases
> * What kinds of interfaces does the business logic use to access
> databases

I'm sure someone could produce a white paper for you; what sort of
retainer are you prepared to offer to get the work started?
--

http://cbbrowne.com/info/unix.html
"If you want to talk with some experts about something, go to the bar

If you, a stranger, show up at the bar, walk up to the table, and ask
them to fax you a position paper, they'll tell you to call their
office in the morning and ask for a rate sheet." -- Miguel Cruz

What are the most popular means of doing web development?

Post by Sybren Stuve » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:33:28

Johann Blake enlightened us with:

Quote:> Please indicate the following:

Take your pick.

Quote:> * Most popular programming languages

PHP, Perl, Python, C, Java, Ruby, C#, etc.

Quote:> * Most popular development tools

VIM, Emacs, J++Builder, Kate, etc.

Quote:> * Are there any tools that allow the creation and usage of XML Web
> Services

All of them.

Quote:> * What kind of support do the development tools have for XML

Loads.

Quote:> * Can the development tools easily separate the business logic from
> the GUI

Sure.

Quote:> * Most popular databases

MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, berkeley DB, etc.

Quote:> * What kinds of interfaces does the business logic use to access
> databases

Loads.

Sybren

What are the most popular means of doing web development?

Post by Johann Bla » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:49:46

You mentioned C# as a programming language. That is mostly for .NET
developers. I am not aware of it being available for Linux
development. What tools exist that allow you to program in C# for
Linux?

Between PHP and Java, which of the two is more commonly used? I
personally believe Java. Is that correct?

You didn't mention IBM's WebSphere for doing development work. Isn't
that a popular development environment for Linux?

Johann

Post by AndrĂ© P?nit » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:51:30

> You mentioned C# as a programming language. That is mostly for .NET
> developers. I am not aware of it being available for Linux
> development.

I was a bit surprised as well, especially as C# shows up in his list but
not C++. Maybe it was just a typo.

There _is_ a C# related project ("Mono") for Linux but I've not seen
widespread use.

Actually I would advice against using it (for purely political reasons).

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)

Post by bgee » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:49:45

 >> You mentioned C# as a programming language. That is mostly for .NET
 >> developers. I am not aware of it being available for Linux
 >> development.

 >I was a bit surprised as well, especially as C# shows up in his list but
 >not C++. Maybe it was just a typo.

 >There _is_ a C# related project ("Mono") for Linux but I've not seen
 >widespread use.

 >Actually I would advice against using it (for purely political reasons).

Indeed.  Instead of C "sharp", I think of C "pound" as in:

   english measure of weight, as in "weigh me down"

or

  hammer, as in "pound it into the ground"

Gotta love that English language!!!

--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky |          ||||      We sure       ||||    <>

<>   Albuquerque, NM  USA    |      ||||       here!        ||||    <>

What are the most popular means of doing web development?

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:50:04

Quote:> You mentioned C# as a programming language. That is mostly for .NET
> developers. I am not aware of it being available for Linux
> development. What tools exist that allow you to program in C# for
> Linux?

The "Mono" project (Google will have no trouble pointing you to it)
provides a tool set to this end.

It works; this sorta does something...

using System;
using System.Data;
using Mono.Data.PostgreSqlClient;
public class Temperatures {
  public const int Freezing = 0;
  public const int Boiling = 100;
  const int FCdiff = 32;
  const int FCmfactor = 9;
  const int FCdfactor = 4;
  public static int celcius_to_fahrenheit (int cvalue) {
    return ((cvalue * FCmfactor) / FCdfactor) + FCdiff;
  }
  public static int fahrenheit_to_celcius (int fvalue) {
    return ((fvalue - FCdiff) * FCdfactor) / FCmfactor;
  }

Quote:}

public class SQL {
  public static void run_query () {
    string commandString = "select description, amount from gncsummary where accountname = 'Rent'";
    string connectString =
      "Server=chvatal;" +
      "User ID=cbbrowne;" +
      "Database=gnucash";
    System.Data.IDbConnection dbcon;
    Console.WriteLine("Attach based on: " + connectString);
    dbcon = new PgSqlConnection(connectString);
    Console.WriteLine("created connection");
    dbcon.Open();
    Console.WriteLine("opened connection");
    System.Data.IDbCommand dbcmd = dbcon.CreateCommand();
    Console.WriteLine("set up command");
    dbcmd.CommandText = commandString;
    Console.WriteLine("assigned command");
    IDataReader reader = dbcmd.ExecuteReader();
    while (reader.Read()) {
      Console.WriteLine("Description: " + reader["description"]);
      Console.WriteLine("Amount: " + reader["amount"]);
    }
    reader.Close();
    reader = null;
    dbcmd.Dispose();
    dbcmd = null;
    dbcon.Close();
    dbcon = null;
  }
Quote:}

class HelloWorld {
  const float Pi = 3.1415926;
  static void Main() {
    // foo();
    adjust();
    ptemps ();
    SQL.run_query ();
  }
  static void ptemps () {
    Console.Write("-40F = what in C? ");
    Console.WriteLine(Temperatures.fahrenheit_to_celcius(-40));
    Console.Write("-40C = what in F? ");
    Console.WriteLine(Temperatures.celcius_to_fahrenheit(-40));
    Console.Write("Boiling in F?");
    Console.WriteLine(Temperatures.celcius_to_fahrenheit(Temperatures.Boiling));
    Console.Write("Freezing in F?");
    Console.WriteLine(Temperatures.celcius_to_fahrenheit(Temperatures.Freezing));
  }
  static void adjust () {
    int AnInteger = 7;
    Console.Write("Initialize AnInteger to ");
    Console.WriteLine(AnInteger);
    AnInteger = 5;
    Console.Write("Adjusted AnInteger to ");
    Console.WriteLine(AnInteger);
  }
  static void foo () {
    int i, j;
    j = 0;
    for (i = 0; i < 1000; i++) {
      j++;
      Console.Write(i);
      Console.Write("  ");
      if (j > 8) {
        Console.WriteLine();
        j = 0;
      }
    }
    Console.WriteLine();
    System.Console.WriteLine("Hello, world!");
  }

Quote:}

Boy, that looks like Java...

Mono has _some_ merit over Java insofar as the "Java world" tempts you
into all sorts of highly proprietary extensions that potentially
require expensive licenses for extended versions of Java from
IBM/Sun/....  In contrast, Mono is available as free software, as are
any extensions thereof.

Quote:> Between PHP and Java, which of the two is more commonly used? I
> personally believe Java. Is that correct?

Hard to say.

PHP requires somewhat less esoteric sets of web server add-ins than
Java.  There are probably more low-end web servers that run Apache +
(Python/Perl/PHP) than there are with Java.

Quote:> You didn't mention IBM's WebSphere for doing development work. Isn't
> that a popular development environment for Linux?

Very expensive stuff if you want to use it for _real_ work, so the
answer is "probably not."

It's very big, very resource-hungry, very "administrator-hungry," and
is Not Cheap.  Draw your own conclusions from that.  In contrast, PHP
and Perl and Python are unambiguously Free Software.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/java.html
Long computations which yield zero are probably all for naught.

Post by Roger Leig » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:47:13

> Indeed.  Instead of C "sharp", I think of C "pound" as in:

>    english measure of weight, as in "weigh me down"
> or
>   hammer, as in "pound it into the ground"

> Gotta love that English language!!!

In England, we refer to `#' as "hash" and `' or "lb" as "pound".

--
Roger Leigh

                Printing on GNU/Linux?  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
                GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848 available on public keyservers

Post by Woof Wo » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:25:42

>> You didn't mention IBM's WebSphere for doing development work. Isn't
>> that a popular development environment for Linux?

CB> Very expensive stuff if you want to use it for _real_ work, so the
CB> answer is "probably not."
CB>
CB> It's very big, very resource-hungry, very "administrator-hungry," and
CB> is Not Cheap.  Draw your own conclusions from that.  In contrast, PHP
CB> and Perl and Python are unambiguously Free Software.

I think that JBOSS is a java open source alternative to Websphere and
Bea and I have read that it is very popular (I haven't used it).

Post by Kevin Easto » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:00:40

> >> You mentioned C# as a programming language. That is mostly for .NET
> >> developers. I am not aware of it being available for Linux
> >> development.

> >I was a bit surprised as well, especially as C# shows up in his list but
> >not C++. Maybe it was just a typo.

> >There _is_ a C# related project ("Mono") for Linux but I've not seen
> >widespread use.

> >Actually I would advice against using it (for purely political reasons).

> Indeed.  Instead of C "sharp", I think of C "pound" as in:

>   english measure of weight, as in "weigh me down"

> or

>  hammer, as in "pound it into the ground"

> Gotta love that English language!!!

It's always read as "C hash" to me.

        - Kevin.