JDK1.2 for Linux

Post by Amit Chatterje » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone point me towards a FTP site from where I can download JDK1.2
for Linux. ? The site at http://www.blackdown.org does not have it (it
claims that it will have it ready in less than a month - the same thing
has been said for the last 2 months). I read somewhere that Sun
announced that they will make JDK1.2 available on Linux buth thier web
sites do not have it either, or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.
Amit

Amit Chatterjee

http://www.mindspring.com/~asav

JDK1.2 for Linux

: for Linux. ? The site at http://www.veryComputer.com/ does not have it (it
: claims that it will have it ready in less than a month - the same thing
: has been said for the last 2 months). I read somewhere that Sun
: announced that they will make JDK1.2 available on Linux buth thier web
: sites do not have it either, or am I missing something here?

Java2 is not yet available for Linux. The following posting
from java-linux should clean up any confusion.  Please don't
post any messages about this subject to the java-linux list,
as I think all the people reading it are sick to the back
teeth of reading them.

Rich.

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:22:06 -0500

Subject: JDK 1.2 TimeTable Not Possible Yet, Status Report

Hi,

In an attempt to stop the flood of "when will jdk 1.2 be out", here is a
short status report:

The JDK 1.2 runs "reasonably well" under native threads for x86, PPC and
Sparc.  Work on other processors is continuing. BUT there are problems that
need to be resolved before we can ship.  The most pressing concern is  a
non-obvious problem in native threading (or linuxthreads?) which causes
hangs on single processor machines and seg-faults on SMP machines.  This
prevents the JCK from completing which in turn prevents us from shipping it.

We are attacking the problem in 2 ways.  Dr. Phill Edwards, the author of
the 1.1.7 native threads is now looking at it (1.2 and 1.1.7 use different
native_threads implementations).  Others are porting/fixing green_threads
to work on JDK 1.2.  If we can pass the JCK under green_threads we can ship
and fix the native threads in a later release or visa-versa.

So we can't actually quote a delivery date.  As Steve pointed out, we
*must* pass the JCK *before* we can ship anything!.  Until these problems
are solved, we simply can't get the JCK to run to completion without
*.

We are *all* working on the problem and hope to come up with a solution
soon, but we simply can not promise any one date.

Please be patient.  Also, please remember, we are all volunteers with other
"real" jobs that must come first.  We are doing our best.

Kevin

Blackdown Porting Team!

-      Richard Jones. Linux contractor London and SE areas.        -
-    Very boring homepage at: http://www.veryComputer.com/;    -
- You are currently the 1,991,243,100th visitor to this signature. -
-    Original message content Copyright (C) 1998 Richard Jones.    -

1. JDK1.3 and Linux and Hotspot

According to the Java site, the hotspot server VM is supposed to be bundled
with the Linux distribution of JDK 1.3.  However, when I installed it,
"java -version" only shows that the client hotspot is installed.  Anybody
know if the hotspot server vm is included or not, or whether there's
something special that needs to be done?

I know on my Win98 box, I had to install the Hotspot Server VM twice, once
for the SDK and then once for the JRE.  Is it possible there's something
like this with Linux?

Thanks,
David

2. Parsing date info for variable -- How do I do that?

3. the Sun's JDK1.3 on Linux

4. Q: non-blocking keybd input delay

5. Trouble with glibc2 (and jdk1.1.6) on Linux

6. Urgent: RAM disk for Solaris?

7. JDK1.3 and Linux and Hotspot

8. Welcome to comp.unix.programmer (v1.11)

9. problem with jdk1.1.5 for Linux

10. Backspace key with jdb , jdk1.1.3 on linux

11. Can I write Java code(with Swing JDK1.2) on Linux Red Hat6.0?

12. jdk1.2.2 under linux

13. JDK1.2.2 performance, Linux -vs- NT