QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE

Post by Elmar Haa » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE
Date: 2 May 1996 00:18:22 GMT

Hi!

Could someone please let me know if there is a "Integrated Development

Environment" similar to Borland C++ 3.1 / 4.5 / 5.0 or Microsoft VC 4.0

running under Linux in character mode or Linux X-Windows as available

as GNU or commercial product.

I develop in C and C++ on DOS and Windows 95/NT platforms and want to

change to Linux. As I am used to above products and conveniences I want

to avoid relearning the use of tools as much as possible.

Please also reply by email

Thanks for your help

Elmar Haag

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 2 May 1996 00:18:22 GMT

Post by Colin Beckma » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

>Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.system
>Subject: QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE
>Date: 2 May 1996 00:18:22 GMT

>Hi!

>Could someone please let me know if there is a "Integrated Development

>Environment" similar to Borland C++ 3.1 / 4.5 / 5.0 or Microsoft VC 4.0

>running under Linux in character mode or Linux X-Windows as available

>as GNU or commercial product.

>I develop in C and C++ on DOS and Windows 95/NT platforms and want to

>change to Linux. As I am used to above products and conveniences I want

>to avoid relearning the use of tools as much as possible.

there is an environment of sorts. It consists of XEmacs, gdb and tgdb.
XEmacs is a editor that does color syntax highlighting,auto code
formating to the users specs, allows compilation in the editor using
one or the editors buffers to display any compilation
errors/information. This is and extremely powerfull editor/programming
tool. GDB is the GNU de*. This is an extremely powerful
de*.  tgdb is a graphical front end for gdb, providing similar
functionality to the borland editor. It is shareware and costs
something like $50 US.

All together this makes for an extremely powerful development
environment

Colin

--
/////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
                           Its lonely at the top

QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE

Post by H?kon L?vd » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Could someone please let me know if there is a "Integrated Development
>Environment" similar to Borland C++ 3.1 / 4.5 / 5.0 or Microsoft VC 4.0
>running under Linux in character mode or Linux X-Windows as available
>as GNU or commercial product.

Check out an editor called xwpe (x-windowed programming editor), works at
terminals also. Looks very similar to borlands IDEs.

 snailmail:  Haakon Loevdal, Kile, 4653 Haegeland, Norway
          --== Linux, The Choice of a GNU Generation ! ==--

QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE

Post by Arcadio A. Sincero J » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

There's XWPE/WPE.  I don't like it, but you might.

Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Sophomore, Computer Science Major at the University of Maryland at College Park
Amateur competitive bodybuilder

"D.A.R.E. .... to keep cops of donuts."

QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE

Post by N. Dan Z » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

[...]
: >I develop in C and C++ on DOS and Windows 95/NT platforms and want to
: >
: >change to Linux. As I am used to above products and conveniences I want
: >
: >to avoid relearning the use of tools as much as possible.
: >

: there is an environment of sorts. It consists of XEmacs, gdb and tgdb.
: XEmacs is a editor that does color syntax highlighting,auto code
[...]
: errors/information. This is and extremely powerfull editor/programming
: tool. GDB is the GNU de*. This is an extremely powerful
: de*.  tgdb is a graphical front end for gdb, providing similar
: functionality to the borland editor. It is shareware and costs
: something like $50 US.

: All together this makes for an extremely powerful development
: environment

Agreed about XEmacs, truly an awesome development enviroment (once you
master the somewhat complex key assignments).  It's also integrated with
version management system like RCS and CVS, along with other tools like
grep, diff (ediff is great), and of course the compiler and de*.  I
have never seen tgdb, but you might want to check out ddd which is
another front end to gdb but uses Motif, it's extremely professional
looking and displays your data structures in graphs.

--
N. Dan Zou                           650 Castro Street, Suite 270
Systems Engineer                     Mountain View, California 94041

Post by Arcadio A. Sincero J » Mon, 06 May 1996 04:00:00

>de*.  tgdb is a graphical front end for gdb, providing similar
>functionality to the borland editor. It is shareware and costs
>something like $50 US.

What is this tgdb?  Is it a TEXT-MODE graphical front-end for gdb?  If so,
where can this be had?  emacs GUD is O.K., but a bit cumbersome to use at
times.  I was thinking of making a text-mode front-end for gdb which will make
using gdb like using Turbo De* for DOS.  But if such a beast already
exists, then I'd rather use that instead.

---
Arcadio Alivio Sincero, Jr.
Sophomore, Computer Science Major at the University of Maryland at College Park
Amateur competitive bodybuilder

"D.A.R.E. .... to keep cops off donuts."

QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE

Post by Conrad Steenbe » Tue, 14 May 1996 04:00:00

[SNIP]
: What is this tgdb?  Is it a TEXT-MODE graphical front-end for gdb?  If so,
: where can this be had?  emacs GUD is O.K., but a bit cumbersome to use at
: times.  I was thinking of making a text-mode front-end for gdb which will make
: using gdb like using Turbo De* for DOS.  But if such a beast already
: exists, then I'd rather use that instead.
:
It is called xwpe (for X Windows Programming Environment), runs on both X
and terminals. BUT version 1.4.2 (which is the current version) has a memory
leak that causes its memory footprint to expand after each compile :-(

So, instead of writing a whole new IDE, why not fix this one bug in an
otherwise amazing package? It is availible on sunsite in
/pub/Linux/apps/editors/xwpe-1.4.2.tgz

<#include "usual excuses for not doing it myself"> ;-)

Cheers
|Conrad S*berg | Space Research Unit | Eenheid vir Ruimtenavorsing        |
|                 | Potchefstroom       | Potchefstroomse                    |
|   0148-299-2404 | University for CHE  | Universiteit vir CHO               |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

1. QUESTION RE: Integrated Development Environment IDE

Hi!

Could someone please let me know if there is a "Integrated Development
Environment" similar to Borland C++ 3.1 / 4.5 / 5.0 or Microsoft VC 4.0
running under Linux in character mode or Linux X-Windows as available
as GNU or commercial product.

I develop in C and C++ on DOS and Windows 95/NT platforms and want to
change to Linux. As I am used to above products and conveniences I want
to avoid relearning the use of tools as much as possible.

Please also reply by email

Thanks for your help

Elmar Haag

2. cdrw fails to init

3. IDE (integrated development environment) for PHP / MySQL?

4. installing NESSUS to solaris8

5. IDE (Integrated Development Environment)

6. XFree crash

7. C-Forge v1.0 Integrated Development Environment

8. Was told to automate???

9. Code Forge Integrated Development Environment

10. Integrated C++ development environment??

11. C-Forge v1.0 Integrated Development Environment

12. Code Forge, Inc has just released version 3.0 of its Integrated Development Environment.

13. Integrated Development Environment like BC++