Making a library

Post by Steve J Emme » Mon, 06 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'd like to start building my own libraries for use by gcc.  However, I
can't seem to find anywhere in the documentation and HOWTOs that I have
the process.  I know how to do it with Borland and (gulp, hide)
Microsoft.

Would someone point me to the documentation/HOWTO.  I'm running kernel
1.2.10 and HAVE NOT yet converted to ELF.  That will be done after the
end of this semester.

Thanks

George Mason University
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    "A mind that is stretched to a new idea
     never returns to its original dimension."

Making a library

Post by Michael Elizabeth Chasta » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Here's how to make a library:

    ar rus libFoo.a *.o

Michael Chastain

1. Making shared libraries from vendor libraries

I recall a few years ago reading about a method to convert vendor libraries
into shared libraries.  I think it involved disassembling the objects in the
library and doing some "sed" type things to it and then reassembling with
proper options to allow linkage into a shared library.  However, I don't
remember the details.

I am particularly interested in convering Oracle's libraries into shared
libraries.  Has anyone out there done this on Solaris 2.3?  (I'm also
interested in SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.4 if its a different procedure).
If so any tips you can provide or scripts you've used to successfully do this
would help me a great deal.  Please send any information to me via e-mail
since our news feed can be a bit flakey.

thanks,
dave

or

2. running from CD-ROM?

3. can libraries be made to load> 0x40000000

4. Seyon: HELP!

5. Making a library shared

6. Cron says: "Where are you"?

7. making a library be executeable

8. CacheFS ?

9. help w/ making library

10. Dynamic Libraries: core dump after changes have been made

11. Making shared libraries. Switches?

12. making a static library (.a) into a dynamic one (.so)

13. Problem Making Shared Object Library for Xpm on Solaris 2.6: