Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

Post by g.. » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hello!

I've got a problem.  I tried to install Yggdrasil's Plug and Play Linux on my PC.
It didn't install properly the first time, so I deleted all of the files from my second
hard drive, hdb1.  When I tried installing the first time, I had made two partitions,
hdb1 and hdb2.  I though that maybe that was the problem, so I used fdisk in dos
to repartition the disk into just one partition, hdb1.

Then I tried to reinstall.  When I got to the boot: prompt, I pushed the <tab> key for
a list of places to boot from, and hdb2 was still listed.  Needless to say, Linux didn't
work correctly again.  (It said that I had a read-only file system, and things like
install_path didn't work because of missing files.)

I then deleted all of the files from hdb1 (my second hard drive) once again.  Now, when
I boot up, instead of going to windows95, it goes to linux.  By pressing tab at the boot:
prompt, I can force it to go to hda1 to boot, and get to windows, but I want to clear linux
from my machine and try to reinstall it again from a fresh start.

I think that whatever part of the linux software that is left on my system is messing up
future installs.  However, I couldn't find any files relating to it.

Does anyone out there know how to make my computer boot to hda1 (my Windows95
drive) by default?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance.

E-Mail responses are prefered since I'm posting this on many newsgroups
David Gotz

(404)206-8032
331251 Georgia Tech Station
Atlanta, GA 30332-1370
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/gotz/
http://zion.gt.ed.net/

Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

Post by Waseem Besa » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Yes install windows 95 again, there is a software can help you to start up
linux grom windows 95 but I can tell you where you can download it later
if you feel that you need to do like this, acually I do so on my machine .

Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

Post by Gordon L. Scot » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

<snip>
Quote:> I think that whatever part of the linux software that is  left  on
> my system is messing up future installs.  However, I couldn't find
> any files relating to it.

> Does anyone out there know how to make my computer  boot  to  hda1
> (my Windows95
> drive) by default?

<snip>

I'm not familiar with the Yddrasil distribution so I'm guessing  a
bit  here.   If  you installed LILO, that will have been installed
into the master boot record (MBR)  of  your  boot  disc  and  will
control  the  booting  procedure.  LILO is pretty good but it does
sometimes seem to cause some problems (probably finger trouble  in
truth).

If this is what happened, you should be able  to  remove  LILO  by
doing a DOS "fdisk /mbr" or the Win95 equivalent.

Because I personally have Linux on a non-bootable disc, I *had* to
use  an alternative approach that I find very satisfactory.  I use
the  other  Linux  loader  "loadlin"  run  as  almost  the  in  my
autoexec.bat  file.   If  you use DR-DOS 6, Novell DOS 7 or MS-DOS
6.??, you can use one of the start-up prompt tools to select OS.

Hope that helps, good luck.

--

1. Calling all gurus: Problems setting up Linux. HELP!!!!

[...]

2. Graphics card fully supported by Open Source drivers!

3. Need help in using the multicast networking features via TLI

4. Is Linux the ideal medium to do Web-Publishing?

5. xev, debugging conflict matlabR13<->twm

6. Linux performance problems (calling all Linux Gurus!)

7. Calling all Linux Guru's - Please help a poor soul.