Does anybody know a good book about programming for Linux?

Does anybody know a good book about programming for Linux?

Post by Tarazevic » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:36:00

I am going to learn Linux and looking for a book about Linux from programmer
point of view. I mean kernel, memory, processes, threading etc.
Something as good as Jeffrey Richter book about Windows (Advanced Windows,
Third Edition).

Thank you,
Yegor

Does anybody know a good book about programming for Linux?

Post by Aminudin Khali » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 19:54:35

Hi,

Try Beginning Linux Programming , Wrox Press  .

Have a nice day.

Post by Morris Dove » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:37:33

> I am going to learn Linux and looking for a book about Linux from programmer
> point of view. I mean kernel, memory, processes, threading etc.
> Something as good as Jeffrey Richter book about Windows (Advanced Windows,
> Third Edition).

Yegor...

"Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" by W. Richard Stevens is an
absolutely first class book dealing with all /except/ the Linux kernel. I've
found it extremely useful both as a learning tool and, later, as a reference.
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA

Does anybody know a good book about programming for Linux?

Post by Carlos Moren » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 00:38:31

Beginning Linux Programming, 2nd edition

and

Professional Linux Programming

Both are Wrox press, same authors (Matthews & Stone --
or Matthew & Stones)

HTH,

Carlos
--
My correct e-mail address has the form moreno at XXX dot com,
where no-re-mo is to my lastname like ma-chi-mo is to XXX

Post by Nate Eldredg » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:01:15

> I am going to learn Linux and looking for a book about Linux from programmer
> point of view. I mean kernel, memory, processes, threading etc.
> Something as good as Jeffrey Richter book about Windows (Advanced Windows,
> Third Edition).

W. Richard Stevens, Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment.  Not
about Linux specifically but everything in it should apply.

--

Nate Eldredge

1. help! anybody know of good scripting book?

Hi,

I work with a batch scheduling software package that runs on SunOS 4.1.1
over a network. I need to figure out
how to write a script that will tell me how many jobs are running on a
particular cpu at any given time, and for
how long they are running. I am not a programmer type or have much time to
do this, so I guess I'm going to do
it on my off hours. Does anybody know how I could go about writing this or
know of a good scripting book that
has good examples, instead of just commands? Any help is much appreciated.

2. CNEWS batching problem - please help

3. Does anybody know some good books about AIX 4.x

4. System hangs

5. Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with sendmail?

6. i need shell

7. Anyone know a good linux book

8. User Mode Linux

9. Anyone know a good linux book.

10. Does anybody know of a Program to remotely dial a linux system from windoze?

11. Is there anybody knowing a good "pen" as substitute for the mouse?

12. Anybody knows of a good newsreader?

13. My E310 drive failed, anybody know a good repair depot?