Start developing applications,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps

Start developing applications,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps

Post by Keegan Al » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:12:34

I want to really learn how to write good applications under Linux, but
I'm not sure where to begin.  I have a background in C++ from way back
-- Borland C++ 3.5 for MS-DOS AND 4.0 for Win 3.x, but I'm not sure
where to begin in Linux.

I use so many applications written by folks like me who just found a
need for the app and wrote it... I want to do this and contribute as
well.

I'm looking for books, websites, tips and ideas, or any resource which
would help me do this.  I'd like to use C++ and write apps for X and
eventually get into writing network apps.

Thanks for any info or help.

Keegan.

Post by Ilkka Lindroo » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 06:59:50

> I'm looking for books, websites, tips and ideas, or any resource which
> would help me do this.  I'd like to use C++ and write apps for X and
> eventually get into writing network apps.

If you like C++ I would recommend QT toolkit
<http://www.trolltech.com>. Network included, etc.

Start developing applications,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps

Post by Stephane SOPPER » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:09:56

Quote:> If you like C++ I would recommend QT toolkit
> <http://www.trolltech.com>. Network included, etc.

And if you like C++ without a moc precompiler (horrible system used by
QT to handle signals) you should try gtkmm (http://www.gtkmm.org).

--
Stephane SOPPERA
http://stephane.soppera.free.fr

Start developing applications,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps

Post by Keegan Al » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 23:55:43

Are there any resources that'll walk me through making some basic
programs?  I can be given the tools, but unless something shows me how
to write basic Hello World apps, doesn't help much.

I've never written a truly GUI application... mine have always been
command line apps, so writing for GUI is new to me.

Thanks .

Keegan.

Post by Stephane SOPPER » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:31:55

> Are there any resources that'll walk me through making some basic
> programs?  I can be given the tools, but unless something shows me how
> to write basic Hello World apps, doesn't help much.

> I've never written a truly GUI application... mine have always been
> command line apps, so writing for GUI is new to me.

For gtkmm, the documentation contains a tutorial which begin with a
HelloWorld application, and which will presents many features of the
toolkit. I think it's the same thing for Qt (Actually every tutorials
I've seen about a GUI library starts with an HelloWorld ;)

--

Post by R Smit » Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:40:17

> I want to really learn how to write good applications under Linux, but
> I'm not sure where to begin.  I have a background in C++ from way back
> -- Borland C++ 3.5 for MS-DOS AND 4.0 for Win 3.x, but I'm not sure
> where to begin in Linux.

> I use so many applications written by folks like me who just found a
> need for the app and wrote it... I want to do this and contribute as
> well.

> I'm looking for books, websites, tips and ideas, or any resource which
> would help me do this.  I'd like to use C++ and write apps for X and
> eventually get into writing network apps.

> Thanks for any info or help.

> Keegan.

Personally, I like this book http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/ (it is
C based) and http://www.fltk.org/ (a C++ gui toolkit). The big widget sets
are Qt (C++) for kde ( http://www.kde.org ) and gtk+ (object oriented C)
for gnome ( http://www.gnome.org and http://www.gtk.org ). You could also
program directly with the Xlib (too many details).

---
The computer continued, brash and cheery
as if it was selling detergent.
'I want you to know that
whatever your problem,
I am here to help you solve it.'