GTK vs Qt vs Motif vs tcl/Tk???

Post by geek » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

hello!

I am fairly new to Linux and Unix, been playing w/ it for a few months
now.  I want to get into programming with GUI interfaces and was
wondering which system/widget set is the best/easiest to use.

I have some prior experience programming in C/C++ using the Borland
C++ IDE for windows (though all my programs (games) ran in DOS, so I
have never done any window/GUI programming before) and I use Perl
every day at work for CGI stuff.

I guess first off that I want to make GUIs for some of my Perl
scripts, so my co-workers can use them without having to use command
line options (which confuses them) but then I DO want to get back into
C/C++ programming at some future time.

So, my priorities are:

1 - Ease of use
2 - Use in Perl and C/C++
3 - Run in KDE and Gnome

and to a lesser extent
4 - Easy port to Windows 98/NT

Also maybe reccomend some good books on the subject of Unix
programming in general, and specificly the info above.

Thanks all.
-geekd

GTK vs Qt vs Motif vs tcl/Tk???

Post by David M. Co » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>I am fairly new to Linux and Unix, been playing w/ it for a few months
>now.  I want to get into programming with GUI interfaces and was
>wondering which system/widget set is the best/easiest to use.

You can find a listing at http://www.free-soft.org/guitool/

Quote:>Also maybe reccomend some good books on the subject of Unix

I have links to some at http://members.home.com/davecook/devel/#book

Quote:>programming in general, and specificly the info above.

O'Reilly has a new book out on Perl/Tk.  There are also Gtk and Qt modules
for Perl.  I believe Perl/Tk may work in windows if you have both Perl and
Tcl/Tk installed.

My favorite language/toolkit for GUI programming is Python/Gtk (pygtk for
short).  See www.gtk.org for more info.

pygnome is even easier, but I would describe the GNOME docs as
one line description goes here

Dave Cook

GTK vs Qt vs Motif vs tcl/Tk???

Post by Martin Welc » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

This might be worth a look. Its a C++ class library for GUI\widgets. It
builds under Linux and NT.

http://*ia.cfdrc.com/FOX/fox.html

>hello!

>I am fairly new to Linux and Unix, been playing w/ it for a few months
>now.  I want to get into programming with GUI interfaces and was
>wondering which system/widget set is the best/easiest to use.

>I have some prior experience programming in C/C++ using the Borland
>C++ IDE for windows (though all my programs (games) ran in DOS, so I
>have never done any window/GUI programming before) and I use Perl
>every day at work for CGI stuff.

>I guess first off that I want to make GUIs for some of my Perl
>scripts, so my co-workers can use them without having to use command
>line options (which confuses them) but then I DO want to get back into
>C/C++ programming at some future time.

>So, my priorities are:

>1 - Ease of use
>2 - Use in Perl and C/C++
>3 - Run in KDE and Gnome

>and to a lesser extent
>4 - Easy port to Windows 98/NT

>Also maybe reccomend some good books on the subject of Unix
>programming in general, and specificly the info above.

>Thanks all.
>-geekd

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. Safe upgrading ?

3. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

4. How to resize existing file systems / slices ?

5. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

6. Where, oh where is Microsoft Network Client?

7. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

8. changing values of parameter on runtime

9. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

10. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

11. BSD vs S5 vs MACH vs OSF/1 (no religion, please!)

12. Short Summary of Linux vs. Win9X vs. Mac vs. ???

13. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8