what's the difference between noarch and src?

what's the difference between noarch and src?

Post by Ryu GAKU G » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

recently, I installed a redhat 6.1 , sometime I want to download some warez for linux, but I find there are two version , one is .noarch.rpm ,and another is .src.rpm. what is the difference? what's the meaning?

liu

Post by Carlos Rodrigue » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> recently, I installed a redhat 6.1 , sometime I want to download some
> warez for linux, but I find there are two version , one is .noarch.rpm ,
> and another is .src.rpm. what is the difference? what's the meaning?

src.rpm contains the source code for the package, the noarch.rpm is a
compiled rpm (in this case is for all architectures, could have been
i386.rpm,  sparc.rpm, alpha.rpm...depending on the type of machine it is
meant to run).

what's the difference between noarch and src?

Post by Dr H. T. Leu » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You probably want the noarch.rpm. Some rpm's are actually platform independent,
e.g. ghostscript fonts, X-windows fonts, print-filter shell scripts. These are
exactly the same byte-by-byte in whichever processors they are to go onto (intel,
alpha, sparc version of linuxes). src.rpm is the source for that (in these cases,
usually just a big tgz file, etc as they were available from the software author.)

In these cases, the difference of src.rpm and noarch.rpm can be very little - the
noarch rpm simply unpack the files in the right places inside the system.

|> recently, I installed a redhat 6.1 , sometime I want to download some
|> warez for linux, but I find there are two version , one is .noarch.rpm ,
|> and another is .src.rpm. what is the difference? what's the meaning?
|>
|> liu
"What you don't care cannot hurt you."            Chap. 7a, AMS-NS

1. What's the difference between configure and src/Configure?

I'm running Apache 1.3.12 on Redhat Linux 6.2

I have a problem on compiling and running Apache.

If I do a "./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache" in the root directory of
Apache follow by "make" and "make install", Apache server works fine. But if
I copy Configuration.tmpl into Configuration in /src directory, then follow
by "src/Configure", "make", and "make install", I have th e following error
when running Apache by "bin/apachectl start":

Syntax error on line 935 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: Invalid
command 'LoadModule', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not included
in the server configuration bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

What's wrong with that?  for some reasons, I need to use the second method.
Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. *.i386.rpm q?

3. Difference between 'startx', 'xdm', and 'xinit' ?

4. Use 2 IP on 1 comp

5. rpm and src.rpm - the difference?

6. Motif Toolkit

7. Difference between src.rpm Packages

8. Ultra DMA and FAT32 patch

9. Any difference between the rpm src files

10. Email: Difference between 'sender' and 'from'?

11. differences between ``nv'' and ``nvidia'' X401 drivers?

12. What is the difference between 'login: root' and 'su -' ?

13. Difference between 'copy' and 'lp'