Threads, C++, libc and X

Post by mikepeterse » Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to configure my system for MT development using C++ and X. I
currently have the stock tools from Redhat 4.2 (libc 5.3.12 Supplied
binaries for XFree86, kernel 2.0.30).

I think I have to update my libc to 5.4.xx and get sources for all of
the above and recompile with D_REENTRANT. (Argh) Is this true?

Also is anybody using glibc as a standard library?

Threads, C++, libc and X

Post by Ales Pou » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I am trying to configure my system for MT development using C++ and X. I
>currently have the stock tools from Redhat 4.2 (libc 5.3.12 Supplied
>binaries for XFree86, kernel 2.0.30).

>I think I have to update my libc to 5.4.xx and get sources for all of
>the above and recompile with D_REENTRANT. (Argh) Is this true?

>Also is anybody using glibc as a standard library?

I consider the 2nd way easier: have glibc as a standard
library and get X precompiled for glibc. I've done it, everything's fine...
Ales

Threads, C++, libc and X

Post by Joe Buehle » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to configure my system for MT development using C++ and X. I
> currently have the stock tools from Redhat 4.2 (libc 5.3.12 Supplied
> binaries for XFree86, kernel 2.0.30).

> I think I have to update my libc to 5.4.xx and get sources for all of
> the above and recompile with D_REENTRANT. (Argh) Is this true?

It is almost trivial to recompile linuxthreads so that code compiled
without
-D_REENTRANT can be used without problems in the main thread.  The
author
of linuxthreads was musing over whether he wanted to do this in an
official release, I think.

Joe Buehler

Threads, C++, libc and X

Post by mikepeterse » Tue, 11 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >I am trying to configure my system for MT development using C++ and X. I
> >currently have the stock tools from Redhat 4.2 (libc 5.3.12 Supplied
> >binaries for XFree86, kernel 2.0.30).

> >I think I have to update my libc to 5.4.xx and get sources for all of
> >the above and recompile with D_REENTRANT. (Argh) Is this true?

> >Also is anybody using glibc as a standard library?

> I consider the 2nd way easier: have glibc as a standard
> library and get X precompiled for glibc. I've done it, everything's fine...
> Ales

I was hoping somebody would say that. What other libraries will I need
to update (like ld.so?)
Mike

Threads, C++, libc and X

Post by Joerg Faschingbaue » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > >I am trying to configure my system for MT development using C++ and X. I
> > >currently have the stock tools from Redhat 4.2 (libc 5.3.12 Supplied
> > >binaries for XFree86, kernel 2.0.30).

> > >I think I have to update my libc to 5.4.xx and get sources for all of
> > >the above and recompile with D_REENTRANT. (Argh) Is this true?

> > >Also is anybody using glibc as a standard library?

> > I consider the 2nd way easier: have glibc as a standard
> > library and get X precompiled for glibc. I've done it, everything's fine...
> > Ales

> I was hoping somebody would say that. What other libraries will I need
> to update (like ld.so?)
> Mike

Check out

http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/

Joerg

1. libc internal error when using posix threads with Tibco in C++

Hi Guys

I am writing the JET API front end for a member firm in C++. I have tried to
run a listener inside a thread & I receive the following error :

        libc internal error: _rmutex_unlock: rmutex not held.

The code runs perfectly outside a thread e.g. in a function or in main. What
is a possible remedy to this.

2. locate

3. SMP LIBC Problems -> OK to thread with LIBC?

4. FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available!

5. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

6. KICQ w/ freeBSD 4.1 help?!?

7. libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6

8. Win95 networking to Unix via TCP/IP

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Threads, threads, threads

11. Thread safe libc

12. Thread Related Libc Error

13. Threads in linux versus threads in NT and threads in Solaris.