Web application development tools under Linux?

Web application development tools under Linux?

Post by Jorge Padro » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:06:38

I am new to Linux -- just installed Redhat 7.1 Professional Server. My goal
is to initially use it to develop and test database/business web-based
applications, and later to host a real site. I have no Linux experience
either as a user or as a developer.

I'm not totally clueless though -- I do have development experience with MS
SQL Server, JavaScript, Active Server Pages, IIS, certified MCSE, everything
on the Windows side as you can see. At this point, I am committed to
learning Linux to find out myself what this is all about--so far (one week)
I seem to like RH 7.1 quite a bit. It feels like a solid OS with lots of
"mojo" :-)

My question is: What are the best tools and languages (or script languages)
to develop database driven business web-based applications under Linux?

+ I need a good HTML/Script editor (I use EditPlus under Windows and I like
it a lot). I prefer GUI though, I don't want to use vi.

+ What is the most widely used web development script language to program
database web-based apps?

+ What database server software do you recommend? Do I already have it in my
RH 7.1 Professional server box set?

I expect a learning curve (to say the least) but I think at the end of the
day it will be worth it. Could you recommend good script web development
language, Linux database and Apache books? I am barely getting my feet wet
with Linux but my experience so far has been excellent both with the product
itself and with the users.

Thank you in advance,

J. Padron

Web application development tools under Linux?

Post by Mike » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 10:13:08

Quote:> What are the best tools and languages (or script languages) to develop
> database driven business web-based applications under Linux?

I've used PHP quite a bit, and it's an easy language to pick up, and
supports a wide range of databases. You can also get SQL wrapper classes,
which hide the db-dependent functions from your own code, which allows
you to change database without rewriting your whole app.

http://www.php.net/

Quote:>  + I need a good HTML/Script editor (I use EditPlus under
> Windows and I like it a lot). I prefer GUI though, I don't want to use
> vi.

Can't help you there. I use gvim :-)

Quote:>  + What is the most widely used web development script language to
> program database web-based apps?

Probably PERL would be my guess. It can be kindof hard to learn; the
syntax is a little weird if you're used to C, etc, and programs have a
habit of being "write-only."

Quote:> + What database server software do you recommend? Do I already have it
> in my RH 7.1 Professional server box set?

RH ships with postgresql - I haven't used it, but I've recently been
hearing good things about it. I'm not a db guru anyway, so I'll defer
this to others ;-)

http://www.postgresql.org/ and http://www.postgresql.com/

Quote:> Could you recommend good script web development language, Linux database
> and Apache books?

Sorry :-)
There's plenty of info available on the web though. If you want to play
with PHP, I suggest you download a copy of the PHP manual as it makes a
very handy reference.
--
Mike (remove "-spam" to mail me)
I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame you.

Post by Micah Cowa » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 12:32:07

> I am new to Linux -- just installed Redhat 7.1 Professional Server. My goal
> is to initially use it to develop and test database/business web-based
> applications, and later to host a real site. I have no Linux experience
> either as a user or as a developer.

> I'm not totally clueless though -- I do have development experience with MS
> SQL Server, JavaScript, Active Server Pages, IIS, certified MCSE, everything
> on the Windows side as you can see. At this point, I am committed to
> learning Linux to find out myself what this is all about--so far (one week)
> I seem to like RH 7.1 quite a bit. It feels like a solid OS with lots of
> "mojo" :-)

> My question is: What are the best tools and languages (or script languages)
> to develop database driven business web-based applications under Linux?

> + I need a good HTML/Script editor (I use EditPlus under Windows and I like
> it a lot). I prefer GUI though, I don't want to use vi.

Jorge - I'm not really sure this is topical on c.o.l.d.*apps*, but
I'll see if I can answer.

I generally use Emacs for my HTML needs :)

But for GUIs, the latest stable version of Mozilla (oxymoron?), or
Bluefish (I think that's what it's called) are the best I've seen.
Unfortunately, they still seem to have a way to go before coming close
to some of Windows' offerings in that area.

Quote:

> + What is the most widely used web development script language to program
> database web-based apps?

Probably Perl, or PHP.  Either of those should do nicely.

Quote:> + What database server software do you recommend? Do I already have it in my
> RH 7.1 Professional server box set?

Almost certainly.  I'd recommend mysql or postgresql.  Last time I
compared them, I strongly preferred postgresql, but things may have
changed.  The things I liked about postgresql were that it supported
nested SELECTs, and supported transaction rollbacks, both of which
were important to me (the former is hardly necessary, but I liked it).

Quote:> I expect a learning curve (to say the least) but I think at the end of the
> day it will be worth it.

Absolutely.  Linux has been by far the most challenging OS for me to
learn (who had no previous UNIX experience, and was raised on Macs
;P), but it is now the love of my life.  (Yes, Sara, I love you too.
Don't look at me like that!)  Everything I put into it, I get back
plus interest.

Quote:> Could you recommend good script web development
> language, Linux database and Apache books? I am barely getting my feet wet
> with Linux but my experience so far has been excellent both with the product
> itself and with the users.

I highly recommend Perl.  Don't know PHP, so can't comment on that.
Didn't learn SQL or Apache from books, but found their documentation
helpful.  Still, books help straighten the curve a bit; anything by
O'reilly is good, anytime I've bought something from them.

Micah

Post by yupet » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 01:26:17

> I am new to Linux -- just installed Redhat 7.1 Professional Server. My goal
> is to initially use it to develop and test database/business web-based
> applications, and later to host a real site. I have no Linux experience
> either as a user or as a developer.

Take a look at http://www.possl.org
Possl's tool - Panther - does exactly what you need.
Panther has 15+ years long history (it's original name was JAM) and is targeted

for building transactional DB applications with character, GUI and Web (about 5

last years) interface,  two and three-tier.
Recently Panther's Linux version has been released to GPL world.  It is a
commercial
product on other available platforms - a lot of Unixes, Win, Mac (I'm not sure
about
Mac, altough ;).
I use this tool at my work and participated in a couple of Web based projects
and
looked over shoulder on a bunch of others.
One of my projects (two years ago) - collection and billing system - has 50+
user forms
linked together with a complex enough navigation scheme. Backend DB - Informix,

100- tables.
Was developed on Sun+Netscape. Deployed on AIX+Netscape. Middleware - Jetnet
(a sort of lite Tuxedo).
The beauty of this project was the customer - he changed his mind couple times
a day. "I like
it. I don't like it. I like it again, but..." :)) And the tool allowed us to
implement all his
desires quickly and with good quality.

So take alook, may be it will be Ok for you.

Regards,
Yuriy.

Quote:

--