Xxgdb broken?

Post by Glenn Bac » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I just downloaded xxgdb from a sunsite mirror after finding that the one
I was using (RedHat 2.1's xxgdb) appeared broken. Unfortunately, the one
I compiled myself did the same thing - the arrow doesn't follow the
execution. I can set a breakpoint, but after breaking, when I step, the
source window does not follow the execution. I never know where I am.
The command window just says step,step,step... Does anyone have a
properly working version, and if you do, where did you get it?

Thanks.
--
Glenn W. Bach
Manager of Computer Systems

Xxgdb broken?

Post by Sean Walton/contract » Wed, 10 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I found the problem/solution: go back to an earlier gdb version:

        GDB 4.14 (i586-unknown-linux), Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

The problem is with the newer gdb versions--not the xxgdb.
-Sean Walton

: I just downloaded xxgdb from a sunsite mirror after finding that the one
: I was using (RedHat 2.1's xxgdb) appeared broken. Unfortunately, the one
: I compiled myself did the same thing - the arrow doesn't follow the
: execution. I can set a breakpoint, but after breaking, when I step, the
: source window does not follow the execution. I never know where I am.
: The command window just says step,step,step... Does anyone have a
: properly working version, and if you do, where did you get it?

: Thanks.
: --
: Glenn W. Bach
: Manager of Computer Systems
: Division of Physics, Mathematics, and Astronomy
: California Institute of Technology

1. SUMMARY: xxgdb broken in Slackware

Many thanks to those who emailed me in response to my question.

As promised, here is a summary of the responses, so that anyone else
with this problem doesn't need to ask...

Yes, xxgdb under Slackware is broken.  You will need to fetch the
sources and re-compile your own.  Get xxgdb-1.12. It compiles out of
the box on Slackware ELF 3.0.  Thanks to Klamer Schutte and everyone
else directing me to xxgdb-1.12.

Others also directed me to sunsite.unc.edu in the "devel" directory,
to get the xxgdb-1.08 source and patches for Linux.  Sorry, but I have
your addresses at my other account.  This version of xxgdb compiles
cleanly (after applying the deltas.)  There's a README in the "devel"
directory that tells you how to do this.

Thanks to everyone on the 'net who helped me.  Who says a free OS
doesn't have as good of product support?  Linux is great!

--

Manager of Information Systems            | fax: (612) 934-8727
------------------------------------------+--------------------------

Manager of Information Systems            | fax: (612) 934-8727
------------------------------------------+--------------------------
VISTA INFORMATION SOLUTIONS               | formerly DataMap

2. Text file busy

3. Slackware xxgdb broken?

4. where can I find fuser.c ?

5. perms on xxgdb and loading SO's in xxgdb

6. USB, digital camera and Linux

7. Win98 PC confused by computer name!!??

8. ELF version of xxgdb is broken???

9. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

10. 2.5: ieee1394 still broken, vesafb still broken, ipv6 still broken

11. HELP! Linux broke WinNT and fdisk broke Linux!

12. PPPoE and IP MASQ: ftp is great, HTTP is broken, NNTP is broken