X windows Alternative Proposed (new protocol)

Post by Alan Shutk » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

V> : (Is it called X windows or X-windows?)
V> It is called X Window (no s) And proposed protocol has nothig to do
V> with it. It is rather replacement for JavaScript or Tcl browser plugin.

[from man X]

       The X Consortium requests that the following names be used
       when referring to this software:

                            X Window System
                              X Version 11
                      X Window System, Version 11
                                  X11

--

DM Advice:  Cast Detect Magic on a TSR module and it'll explode.

Post by Jonathan Apfelker » Thu, 23 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> : Title: X windows Alternative Proposed

> : I have put together what I think is an easier-to-learn GUI protocol. I call
> : it SCGUI (Server Controlled GUI). I figure I will fly it up the flagpole to
> : see what comments and flames I get. I estimate a 35% flame rate. Lets see how
> : close I come.

> : It is the 3rd menu item at:

> :   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/6888/

There are similar projects on its way, one of them being Nirvana, a GUI
which uses only 'hints' and can use variable widgets. Another of this
type
being quite successful is MUI on the Amiga...

Jonathan
--
"...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking

Post by Jonathan Belso » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I tried without success to find info on MUI and Nirvana. All I got was either
> dead links or brief mentions.  Do you have any good links?

www.sasg.com for MUI.  I haven`t been able to access the Nirvana web page for a while,
since there hadn`t been an update for a while I figured it`d fizzled away.

Quote:> Also, are these open standards or proprietary?

They're not standards so much as GUI libraries.

C-YA
Jon

http://www.dookie.demon.co.uk