Porting a SCO Unix app to LINUX

Post by Greg Fin » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I own the source code to a full featured multi-user accounting system.  It
currently runs under DOS, Windows, and SCO Unix.  I am not a programmer and
need help getting it compiled under LINUX.  I tried using the makefiles for
SCO but it doesn't work.  Is anyone willing to help?

Thanks
Greg

Post by dpac » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I own the source code to a full featured multi-user accounting system.  It
> currently runs under DOS, Windows, and SCO Unix.  I am not a programmer and
> need help getting it compiled under LINUX.  I tried using the makefiles for
> SCO but it doesn't work.  Is anyone willing to help?

> Thanks
> Greg

It is not just the makefiles that can be a barrier.
There can also be a number of issues regarding
the curses library (which I hope it uses) and the
naming of printer or serial devices and even possibly
the fork() and fopen(),... function calls.

All in all, the project is doable. But it could be time
consuming to work out all the issues.

Are you willing to pay?  If yes, I will look at the
source code and give you a free, fixed price quote.

--
David Pace - Free commodity/stock graphing software
and Linux links at http://www.daveware.com

1. ===HELP: How to port UNIX + Motif client/server app to a WWW app ?? ===

Hello,

I'm interested to find out what might be the best
approach to convert a large Sun UNIX client-server TCP/IP
base C/C++/Motif/Sybase application over to a Web-based
application.

In particular, the client-server app consists of a client-
based X/Motif UNIX app which connects to a database
server application.  The client displays tabular and
graphical data as retrieved from the server application.
The client app makes TCP/IP and SQL calls to the server
which is running C/C++ and a Sybase RDMS.  The server
processes the client requests and then sends raw data
via TCP/IP for the client UNIX workstation to graphically
display with Motif v1.2 calls.

I'm interested in porting the client-server apps to a
PC/Apache + Linux + PHP3 + mySql + HTML environment in
which a Web browser can make requests to the Web server.
The Linux/Apache web server would create and send .gif
images of the data to the browser "on-the-fly". Tabular
data from the server would be sent to the browser via DHTML/
HTML/Java/PHP3, etc.

My hope is that:

1. the Sybase code could be ported to mySQL

2. the client and server C/C++ code could run almnost
as-is under Linux on the server

3. the Motif code could be ported to a freeware/Linux
version of Motif adn run almost as-is

4. the client UI code could be ported to HTML + a server
handlee

5. the Motif graphical output on the server could be
converted to .gifs on the server using some Motif -> .gif
converter code.  The .gif is then sent to the browser
per each browser request.

6. ...or some variation of the above or ??

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/pointers on how
this porting process could be done most easily/quickly
given the different options I might have.

2. How can I do to cancel hardware checking during booting?

3. Can SCO Unix run old SCO Xenix apps?

4. SSHD

5. comp.unix.apps (Re: comp.unix.sco)

6. WTD: Phone Mail System

7. Linux apps on SCO unix

8. Task bar

9. develop app. on Linux and run on SCO UNIX ?

10. Windows NT|2000 Linux 2.2 port (was Linux apps in win2000 port news!)

11. Porting Unix Apps to Linux

12. Problems porting C app from HP UNIX to LINUX

13. Need Info on porting MS-Windows app. to Unix (Linux).