looking for CAD under LINUX

looking for CAD under LINUX

Post by Armin Taschw » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00



Hi!

Who knows something about a CAD under LINUX? There should be 3D-parametric
Volumsmodelling included!

I know, there exist Programs like VARIMETRIX, but they are to expensive for
a one-man-show. perhaps there exist a free or low-cost version ...
--
+------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                             Cartwheel                            |
|  o   \ o /  _ o        __|    \ /     |__        o _  \ o /   o  |
| /|\    |     /\   __\o   \o    |    o/    o/__   /\     |    /|\ |
| / \   / \   | \  /) |    ( \  /o\  / )    |  (\  / |   / \   / \ |
|==================================================================|
|                            Armin Taschwer                        |

|                      TU-GRAZ         Austria                     |
+------------------------------------------------------------------+  

 
 
 

looking for CAD under LINUX

Post by E. You » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00



> Who knows something about a CAD under LINUX? There should be 3D-parametric
> Volumsmodelling included!

Have you looked at the linux scientific software list? There must be
something in there that does what you want:

http://www-ocean.tamu.edu/~baum/linuxlist.html

Though you might want the german mirror

http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/baum/

.at is austria, right? BTW, how do I find out which countries have what
extensions? Just curious...

 
 
 

looking for CAD under LINUX

Post by Dr. Bor » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00


........

Quote:> : Though you might want the german mirror
> : http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/baum/
> : .at is austria, right? BTW, how do I find out which countries have what
> : extensions? Just curious...

> Use 'whois'

I would not be so shure. 'whois' only gives information
about .gov, .com, .edu, .org, and .net. There is another
server for .mil sites. I am aware of no server that would
universally give information about .au, .ca, .at, .nl, .de
.jp, .sp, .us, .ro, .ru, . be and dosens of others.

--

#include <disclaimer.h>  |     *Good pings come in small packets*
       Vancouver         |  Ceterum censeo Microsoftam delendam esse
   British Columbia      | SIGSIG -- signature too long (core dumped)

 
 
 

looking for CAD under LINUX

Post by cp7 » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00




: > Who knows something about a CAD under LINUX? There should be 3D-parametric
: > Volumsmodelling included!
: Have you looked at the linux scientific software list? There must be
: something in there that does what you want:
: http://www-ocean.tamu.edu/~baum/linuxlist.html
: Though you might want the german mirror
: http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/baum/
: .at is austria, right? BTW, how do I find out which countries have what
: extensions? Just curious...

Use 'whois'

 
 
 

looking for CAD under LINUX

Post by Vidar Hokst » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00




Quote:> I would not be so shure. 'whois' only gives information
> about .gov, .com, .edu, .org, and .net. There is another
> server for .mil sites. I am aware of no server that would
> universally give information about .au, .ca, .at, .nl, .de
> .jp, .sp, .us, .ro, .ru, . be and dosens of others.

whois.ripe.net handles at least data about European top top level and second
level domains. (There's also a WAIS and whois gateway on their webpage at
<URL:http://www.ripe.net/>

--


 
 
 

looking for CAD under LINUX

Post by Mark Hamst » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00




Quote:> Hi!

> Who knows something about a CAD under LINUX?

Having ported MicroStation to Linux, I think I know a thing or
two about it.

Quote:> There should be 3D-parametric
> Volumsmodelling included!

MicroStation does 3D surface modeling just fine.  For solid
modeling and parametrics you'd need our Modeler product...
except it's not ported to Linux [yet].

Quote:> I know, there exist Programs like VARIMETRIX, but they are to expensive for
> a one-man-show. perhaps there exist a free or low-cost version ...

MicroStation (and MasterPiece, our rendering and animation
software) is available to academic users at very reasonable
costs as part of any of our new Engineering Academic Suites;
see http://www.bentley.com/academic.  The only thing precluding
MicroStation from being commercially supported is a lack of
sufficient expressed interest to cover the considerable costs
associated with fully certifying and supporting the Linux port.

If you would like to make your desire to use MicroStation on
Linux in a commercial environment, please stop by
http://www.bentley.com/products/change-request.html

Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.