RH 6.2 apps running on 7.1 multi-CPU hosts: binary compatible?

RH 6.2 apps running on 7.1 multi-CPU hosts: binary compatible?

Post by Przemek Skoskiewi » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 05:00:38



Hello,

I would be greateful if someone could confirm whether I'm on the right
track. Our apps, compiled under RH 6.2, run fine on single CPU hosts
running RH 7.1 with the 2.4 kernel. However, they consistently, if
randomly, crash when running on multi-CPU hosts running RH 7.1 with
the 2.4smp kernel. The crash happens during NFS read/write operations
and ends up in the pthread_setcanceltype function.

Question: is it reasonable to expect that RH 6.2 binaries will behave
correctly on 7.x versions?

I know that a fair amount of work has been done on the SMP kernel
package between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernel releases. I have not been able
to find any patches or bug fixes that would indicate an smp problem in
RH 7.1.

Should I upgrade to RH 7.2 (or 7.3) and expect that the
multi-processing issue would go away? (It's not an easy choice, but
one I'm willing to explore, if there's a reasonable expectation that
it will address the problem.) Or should I abandon my reliance on
binary compatibility and move directly to native compilations on the
7.x releases?

Thank you for your time,

Przemek Skoskiewicz

 
 
 

RH 6.2 apps running on 7.1 multi-CPU hosts: binary compatible?

Post by Pete Zaitc » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 05:07:47



Quote:> [...]. However, they consistently, if
> randomly, crash when running on multi-CPU hosts running RH 7.1 with
> the 2.4smp kernel. The crash happens during NFS read/write operations
> and ends up in the pthread_setcanceltype function.

Bugzilla material. I think glibc may be at fault, but perhaps
some compatibility is missing in kernel (should not, but...)

Quote:> Question: is it reasonable to expect that RH 6.2 binaries will behave
> correctly on 7.x versions?

Yes, it is reasonable for reasonable binaries.

Quote:>[...]
> Should I upgrade to RH 7.2 (or 7.3) and expect that the
> multi-processing issue would go away?

7.1 Errata and 7.2 use the same kernel; They may even migrate
to 2.4.18 in time.

Just make sure everything is up to date, especially glibc.

-- Pete

 
 
 

RH 6.2 apps running on 7.1 multi-CPU hosts: binary compatible?

Post by Phil Frisbie, Jr » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 07:12:56



> Hello,

> I would be greateful if someone could confirm whether I'm on the right
> track. Our apps, compiled under RH 6.2, run fine on single CPU hosts
> running RH 7.1 with the 2.4 kernel. However, they consistently, if
> randomly, crash when running on multi-CPU hosts running RH 7.1 with
> the 2.4smp kernel. The crash happens during NFS read/write operations
> and ends up in the pthread_setcanceltype function.

> Question: is it reasonable to expect that RH 6.2 binaries will behave
> correctly on 7.x versions?

Yes, but the most likely cause is a bug in your code. Do you use threads? If so,
then there are number of things you may have done wrong that will only show up
when running on a multiple CPU system.

Quote:> I know that a fair amount of work has been done on the SMP kernel
> package between the 2.2 and 2.4 kernel releases. I have not been able
> to find any patches or bug fixes that would indicate an smp problem in
> RH 7.1.

> Should I upgrade to RH 7.2 (or 7.3) and expect that the
> multi-processing issue would go away? (It's not an easy choice, but
> one I'm willing to explore, if there's a reasonable expectation that
> it will address the problem.) Or should I abandon my reliance on
> binary compatibility and move directly to native compilations on the
> 7.x releases?

> Thank you for your time,

> Przemek Skoskiewicz

Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Hawk Software
http://www.hawksoft.com
 
 
 

1. transfer drivers from RH 7.1-> RH 6.2

I've got an installation of 6.2 (on a removable HD) that works properly
but doesn't support my new hardware, and an installation of 7.1 that
supports the hardware but doesn't seem to do things right (forex, the
BibTeX extension to PERL won't compile); is there some way I can
transfer the NIC and video drivers & config from 7.1 to 6.2?

The docco I have available seems rather skimpy on exactly what to do when
you change hardware.

Thanks,

  - Avery Andrews

2. 2.5.70 syncppp

3. ? Binary compatibility RedHat 6.2 -> SuSE 7.1

4. Precompiled x11amp 0.9?

5. Appletalk supported by linux can run on multi-cpu

6. Need help please

7. R.H. 6.2 + multi processor = OK??

8. XWINDOW not xwindows!!

9. JPEG not supported in RH 6.2 Konfucious binaries

10. Sol 2.4x86 Multi-CPU vs Single CPU: Difference???

11. testing individual cpu in multi-cpu system

12. How do you deactivate some CPUs on a multi-CPU SUN box in Solaris?

13. Can Redhat 6.2(Zoot) run on DELL 8450 Server which has 8 CPUs ?