Can Linux G++ create DOS flat 32 bit DPMI code?

Can Linux G++ create DOS flat 32 bit DPMI code?

Post by Greg Cors » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I would like to be able to use LINUX versions of G++ to cross compile
applications for DOS so I can take advantage of Linux's better batch file
capability and the ability to multi-thread builds to several computers.

What I need is to get Linux G++ to target DOS 32 bit flat model and
generate code compatable with a DOS DPMI such as PharLap, Borland
Powerpack or Dos4G.

If anyone has done or knows how to do this, please let me know!

By the way, we use little or no special DOS calls in our program if that
makes things any easier.  We call standard C library routines and access
all DOS functions by way of the software interrupt tables.

Greg

Greg Corson                            Phone:    (312) 243-6515
Chief Software Engineer                FAX:      (312) 243-7818

1100 West Cermak
Chicago, IL 60608

Can Linux G++ create DOS flat 32 bit DPMI code?

Post by Adam Fras » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>What I need is to get Linux G++ to target DOS 32 bit flat model and
>generate code compatable with a DOS DPMI such as PharLap, Borland
>Powerpack or Dos4G.

>If anyone has done or knows how to do this, please let me know!

A potential hack around this is to use DJGPP which is a fairly up to date port
of GNU C/C++ to DOS.  It already has a DPMI (go32.exe) and can use identical
Makefile etc to Linux.

 Discussion is in comp.os.msdos.djgpp

regards
        Adam

******************** from the sublime to the ridiculous ***********************

*************** music, culture and a small piece of pecan pie *****************

Post by Pete Cho » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> I would like to be able to use LINUX versions of G++ to cross compile
> applications for DOS so I can take advantage of Linux's better batch file
> capability and the ability to multi-thread builds to several computers.

Someone has already mentioned that you can use DJGPP; I would add to
his post that the Linux a.out format is compatible with the a.out
format used by DJGPP.  As a result you can compile and link your
application under Linux, change to DOS and use DJGPP to run it.

Be sure to link to the DJGPP C library, not the Linux one!  And be
sure to set gcc to generate a.out and not ELF.  (Apparently the next
release of DJGPP will use ELF, but it is not supported yet.)

                                     -- anonymous

1. Compiling 64-bit code on 32-bit machine

Hello,

From the Solaris 7 64-bit Developer's Guide FAQ:

  Can I build a 64-bit application on a system running the 32-bit
  operating system?

    Yes, provided you have the 64-bit library packages installed. However,
    it is not possible to run the 64-bit application on a system running
    the 32-bit operating system.

1.  What are the names of the 64-bit libraries?  How can I ensure
    only those libraries are used during a compile and not any 32-bit
    ones?

2.  What compilers can generate 64-bit code on 32-bit machines?
    Does GNU CC?

3.  What compiler flags are used to instruct a 64-bit compile?  for
    which compiler?

I realize I wouldn't be able to test the generated 64-bit code on a
32-bit machine.   Perhaps the answers should go in the solaris FAQ.

Thanks,
Sam

2. lastcomm and the /var/pacct files

3. 64-bit instructions in 32-bit code

4. Netscape commerce server logging

5. code to determine 64-bit vs 32-bit binaries?

6. Archiving procedures

7. 32-bit code on 64-bit RS/6000

8. Verify URL access to outside database?(netscape or Cern)

9. Calling 16-bit PM code from 32-bit PM Kernel Driver

10. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

11. Linux 64 bit and Windows 32 bit

12. ipfilter: cannot create 32 bit executables

13. Oops on x86_64 running 32-bit code