when sendmsg(), get "broken pipe" error.

when sendmsg(), get "broken pipe" error.

Post by ulan » Mon, 19 May 2003 01:14:48

thanks in advance.

sendmsg() 100 packets/sec and
totally 10000 packets.
After sending ?k packets, error message "broken pipe" occur.

Anybody may give me some explanation?

when sendmsg(), get "broken pipe" error.

Post by Sybren Stuve » Mon, 19 May 2003 01:53:11

uland enlightened us with:

Quote:> Anybody may give me some explanation?

More info required.

Sybren
--
| Somebody ought to cross ball point pens with coat hangers so that |
| the pens will multiply instead of disappear.                      |

Post by Eric P. McC » Mon, 19 May 2003 04:23:40

> After sending ?k packets, error message "broken pipe" occur.
> Anybody may give me some explanation?

A broken pipe is when you try to write to a "pipe" (in this context a
socket) that has no readers.  It usually reflects an error in your
program.  If you can control the reader, rewrite it to stop closing
its side of the socket early.  If you can't, rewrite the writer so it
can handle this case more gracefully (use select to find out when the
other end of the socket has been closed).

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

when sendmsg(), get "broken pipe" error.

Post by David Schwart » Mon, 19 May 2003 07:58:39

Quote:> thanks in advance.
> sendmsg() 100 packets/sec and
> totally 10000 packets.
> After sending ?k packets, error message "broken pipe" occur.
> Anybody may give me some explanation?

    Are we talking UDP? And what do you mean by error *message*? Do you mean
'sendmsg' returns an error code that decodes to 'broken pipe'? Or do you
mean you're actually seeing that message (say because a SIGPIPE terminated
your program)?

    DS

Post by ulan » Mon, 19 May 2003 11:51:02

> > thanks in advance.

> > sendmsg() 100 packets/sec and
> > totally 10000 packets.
> > After sending ?k packets, error message "broken pipe" occur.

> > Anybody may give me some explanation?

>     Are we talking UDP?

Yes, it's UDP, but acturlly is sctp in udp style.

And what do you mean by error *message*? Do you mean

Quote:> 'sendmsg' returns an error code that decodes to 'broken pipe'? Or do you
> mean you're actually seeing that message (say because a SIGPIPE terminated
> your program)?

Yes, sendmsg returns an error code 'EPIPE'
 and it is decoded to error message'broken pipe'.
Quote:>     DS

Post by David Schwart » Tue, 20 May 2003 02:31:00

> Yes, sendmsg returns an error code 'EPIPE'
>  and it is decoded to error message'broken pipe'.

    Just ignore it. UDP doesn't guarantee anything anyway.

    DS

1. "IO fatal error 32 (broken pipe)" after "kill fvwm"

Any help on the following problem is greatly appreciated.

I installed Slackware v1.1.1 on a 486DX PC with an NCR77C22E graphic
board.  In Xconfig, the dotclock rates are taken from specifications
came with the graphic board.  The monitor is a CTX5468NI and the
parameters for modes in Xconfig are taken from modeDB.txt.  The
system worked fine after 'startx' until I used [ctrl-alt-backspace].
After I did this the screen showed an unrecognizable mess.  I could
still enter commands from the keyboard, but it was impossible to
figure out what had been typed from the screen.  After I typed 'startx'
again, the system then worked fine until I tried again to leave
the X window.  I tried to use 'kill fvwm' to leave, but I also ended
up facing an unrecognizable screen.

After rebooting the system, I used 'script' to creat a file before
typing 'startx.'  Then I used [ctrl-alt-backspace] and [ctrl-D]
and rebooted the system.  The error message I found in the file
is something like "IO fatal error 32  (broken pipe)."  I would like
to learn to fix this problem.

I also installed Slackware v1.1.1 using the same set of floppy disks
on another 486DX PC with an AVIEW2E graphic board and a MAG15 monitor.
In that case I did not have any problem to leave the X window.

Thank you for reading this message.

Cheng Pan

2. configuration file for RH 7.1 distribution

3. FW: "PIPE BROKEN" & "RESOURCE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE"

4. DNS Tracking...

5. Apache Problem "Connection reset by peer" "Broken pipe" etc

6. SIS 6326 AGP 8MB video card prob

8. Need help on HP 540 Deskjet printer

9. TCP "Broken pipe" programming error

10. What does socket error "broken pipe" mean?

11. Netatalk-error-message "afpd: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe"

12. "broken pipe" errors using sftp under fc6

13. xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"