Data Acquisition using linux with [Data Acquisition Processor] DAP

Data Acquisition using linux with [Data Acquisition Processor] DAP

Post by jame » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:02:06

Hi
Can Anybody Suggest me how to start off with  data acquisition
progamming in c on linux ,using the DAP card ....it would be kind if
someone let me know some websites which guides how to start
programming or some sites where examples are there .........i have
done  data acquisition using Graphical Language and i want to try in
linux using "C" ........i also want to know how to interact with the
DAP card

can any body please give some guide lines

thnax
james

Post by Jens.Toerr.. » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:25:17

> Can Anybody Suggest me how to start off with  data acquisition
> progamming in c on linux ,using the DAP card ....it would be kind if
> someone let me know some websites which guides how to start
> programming or some sites where examples are there .........i have
> done  data acquisition using Graphical Language and i want to try in
> linux using "C" ........i also want to know how to interact with the
> DAP card

Basically, you first need a kernel module for doing the hardware
access of the card. Depending on the way the kernel module is
written it's often quite useful to have a library that supplies a
simple API instead of communicating with the module directly, e.g.
via ioctl() calls. If a kernel module exists and you also have a
library, using the card is quite simply done by calling functions
in the library according to the documentation that hopefully comes
with the library.

So the question is: does the card comes with a kernel module and
possibly a library? Or do you have to write everything yourself?
And what kind of card is this and what are you planning to do with
it? Without knowing on which level (i.e. module, library or userland
program) you want to deal the card it's more or less impossible to
figure out what you're looking for.
                                         Regards, Jens
--
      _  _____  _____

  _  | |  | |    | |
 | |_| |  | |    | |          http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~toerring
  \___/ens|_|homs|_|oerring

Post by Grant Edwar » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:56:47

> Can Anybody Suggest me how to start off with  data acquisition
> progamming in c on linux ,using the DAP card

The Linux Lab Project is the cannonical resource for that sort
of thing:

    http://www.llp.fu-berlin.de/

Homey don't play dat.  You asked here, I answer here.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have seen these
                                  at               EGG EXTENDERS in my

1. serial port data acquisition without data loss?

Hi,

A group in my lab wants to write a data acquisition program running under
Linux with a Tk/Tcl interface. The data will be coming in the serial port
at 19.2 kbps, and we need to ensure that there won't be any data lost,
no matter what else the user is doing. Can this be done under Linux? If so,
how? Is it already taken care of with hardware interrupts for the serial port,
so that it is read out before its 16 byte buffer starts being overwritten?
Does the process need to have its priority put at an especially high level?

Thanks very much. Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Jim

2. Help! eth0: error prompt!

3. data acquisition using sound card under linux

4. Probelms with Russina keymap in X11

5. Data acquisition with Linux?

6. sources of xpdr

7. Data acquisition card drivers under linux. Intelligent Instrumentation.

8. Q: LinuxThreads bizzare limit on "total created" threads ?

9. REQ Fast data acquisition with Linux

10. Linux & Data acquisition

11. LINUX and data acquisition

12. New data scientific acquisition software for Linux

13. Data-acquisition with Linux (A/D converters)