Unix C++

Post by davidso » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

        I recently bought two books "Linux Programming" (by Patric Vokerding,
Eric Foster-Johnson, and Kevin Reichard), and "C++ in 21 Days" by SAMS
Publishing.  The linux programming book is OK for beginners, but doesn't
tell you much.  The C++ book seems to be writen for Windows95, because
when I try to do the lessens in there on Linux the librarys and commands
are different.  Whats the deal?  Where can I find a good unix C++
programming book, and why are the commands different anyway?  Why is the
structure the same, but the commands different for the two operating
systens?  Maybe I'm just stupid or dilusional but that doesn't make any
sense to me.  If someone has a good book for me to read I would
appreciate it.

                                Thanx

                                   Thad

Unix C++

Post by Aron Felix Gursk » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

>         I recently bought two books "Linux Programming" (by Patric Vokerding,
> Eric Foster-Johnson, and Kevin Reichard), and "C++ in 21 Days" by SAMS
> Publishing.  The linux programming book is OK for beginners, but doesn't
> tell you much.  The C++ book seems to be writen for Windows95, because
> when I try to do the lessens in there on Linux the librarys and commands
> are different.  Whats the deal?  Where can I find a good unix C++
> programming book, and why are the commands different anyway?  Why is the
> structure the same, but the commands different for the two operating
> systens?  Maybe I'm just stupid or dilusional but that doesn't make any
> sense to me.  If someone has a good book for me to read I would
> appreciate it.

Have a look at the following descriptions of books published by
O'Reilly:

        http://www.linuxmall.com/Allprod/00213.html

        http://www.linuxmall.com/Allprod/00247.html
--
                                        -- Aron

        "Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't."
                -- Chief Dan George, in "Little Big Man"

        NB: Om du vil svare med e-post, m? du forandre adressa mi.
        NB: If you want to reply by e-mail, you will have to modify my
address.

Unix C++

Post by David M. Co » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>    I recently bought two books "Linux Programming" (by Patric Vokerding,
>Eric Foster-Johnson, and Kevin Reichard),

I've only paged thru this book, but it looked pretty disappointing (not
much in the way of code examples.)  Try _Beginning Linux Programming_
published by Wrox (www.wrox.com).  It's a great book crammed with info
(but very readable).

Quote:>are different.  Whats the deal?  Where can I find a good unix C++
>programming book, and why are the commands different anyway?

Beats me.  Why can't the win95 people use the available standards?

O'Reilly's book on C++ covers both unix and windows compilers.

http://www.ora.com/publishing/linux/noframes.html

Dave Cook

Unix C++

Post by Stephen Birc » Tue, 07 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>  If someone has a good book for me to read I would
> appreciate it.

>                                 Thanx

>                                    Thad

IMHO about the best programming book for Linux is "Beginning LINUX
Programming" by Neil Matthew & Richard Stones, published by Wrox Press
(ISBN 1-874416-68-0).  You may also want to visit the web site at
www.amazon.com and do a search for programming books.

1. UNIX - C++

Hi all,

I'm new to C programming in Unix systems. I want to write a program
that Tx and Rx data via COM port. How can I find the right device to
open? How can I set the desired COM settings (baud rate, parity...)?

Please help me on these,

Thanks,
Harshana

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/