gnome installation

Post by C.E.O » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I ftp'ed down gnome's rpms and tried to install it, a package at a time and
it complains about dependencies.  Is there some install script that installs
all the rpms in the right order, etc like the kde install-core and
install-apps?

thanks,
 CEO

remote NOSPAM if emailing me directly...

gnome installation

Post by NF Steve » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I ftp'ed down gnome's rpms and tried to install it, a package at a time and
>it complains about dependencies.  Is there some install script that installs
>all the rpms in the right order, etc like the kde install-core and
>install-apps?

>thanks,
> CEO

>remote NOSPAM if emailing me directly...

I got this file somewhere on the gnome web site (can't remember where
exactly now). It's for v 0.99 but I suspect the installation order has
not changed

Quote:>GNOME 0.99.0 Tarballs
>---------------------

>This is a set of VERY prelimary tarballs intended for people who like
>to hack with the state of the art.

>You will need to make and install all tarballs in this order:

>freetype
>audiofile
>esound
>glib
>gtk+
>imlib
>gtk-engines
>fnlib (only needed by e)
>e (optional)
>ORBit
>gnome-libs
>control-center
>gnome-http
>gmc
>gnome-xml (only for gnumeric)
>(and the rest in any order you like, they are optional)

>To use, just call gnome-session

>You can get the latest versions of the GNOME components from the latest
>directory (it has symlinks to the archives)

Norman

gnome installation

Post by Timothy Murp » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>You will need to make and install all tarballs in this order:

>>freetype
>>audiofile
>>esound
>>glib
>>gtk+
>>imlib
>>gtk-engines
>>fnlib (only needed by e)
>>e (optional)
>>ORBit
>>gnome-libs
>>control-center
>>gnome-http
>>gmc
>>gnome-xml (only for gnumeric)
>>(and the rest in any order you like, they are optional)

Is it worth it?
(This is a genuine question --
I am thinking of installing GNOME,
but the complications seem out of proportion to the benefits.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

1. Gnome installation problems

I'm trying to install gnome on my system from the Redhat Linux Power
Tools 5.2 cdrom and encounter the following dependency problem when
trying to install glib10, which is a dependency of
glib-1.1.3-1.i386.rpm, which is a dependency of gtk+-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm,
etc.

package glib10 is not installed

/usr/lib/libglib.so.1.0.6 conflicts with file from glib-1.0.6-3
error: glib10-1.0.6-2.i386.rpm cannot be installed

Should I try to force this?  I thought that the Power Tools 5.2 would
install with no problems on a Redhat 5.2 system, which I just upgraded
to.
--
To respond via e-mail please remove what's between Eric and Goforth in
my return e-mail address.

2. Why isn't AIX looking in the current directory?

3. GNOME installation

4. static routes

5. gnome installation

6. NIS/NIS+ and LDAP

7. Gnome Installation

8. Microsoft PS/2 Compatible (Serial) doesn't work!

9. GNOME Installation Step by Step

10. Gnome installation: gdk-pixbuf/libbonoboui conflict

11. RH5.2/GNOME Installation Problem

12. KDE vs GNOME (installations)

13. Gnome Installation Fails