visual basic for linux

Post by tamar laha » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:27:06

Hi ALL
I'm looking for compiler  visual basic, were can I find a good development
tools for visual basic?
tamar

visual basic for linux

Post by Robert J. Hanse » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:21:28

visual basic for linux

Post by D. Stimit » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:46:20

> Hi ALL
> I'm looking for compiler  visual basic, were can I find a good development
> tools for visual basic?
> tamar

I suppose there might be clones out by now, but I haven't heard of any.
VB is a closed-source/proprietary thing, so I doubt you'll find it on
anything MS isn't getting a profit from.

visual basic for linux

Post by John Hasle » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:35:21

> I'm looking for compiler  visual basic, were can I find a good development
> tools for visual basic?

VB is a horrid botchery.  Learn to use something decent, like Python.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

visual basic for linux

Post by Frank Ranne » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:48:32

> Hi ALL
> I'm looking for compiler  visual basic, were can I find a good development
> tools for visual basic?
> tamar

http://xbasic.org

Regards, Frank Ranner

visual basic for linux

Post by cbbro.. » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:44:10

>> I'm looking for compiler visual basic, were can I find a good
>> development tools for visual basic?
> http://xbasic.org

Other useful places to head for something _analagous_ to Visual Basic
include:

 <http://www.multimania.com/sxpert/gnuvb/>
 <http://wcnet.org/~mtrausch/>
 <http://script.basic.hu>
 <http://www.moria.de/~michael/bas/>
 <http://www.bmtmicro.com/catalog/omnibasic.html>
 <http://SoftworksLtd.com/vbvm.html>
 <http://www.truebasic.com>
 <http://www.nwnexus.com>

Most are only vaguely interoperable with any of the Microsoft
products; none provide much in the way of interoperability with third
party VB "widgets" and such...
--

http://vip.hyperusa.com/~cbbrowne/unix.html
"It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing..."

visual basic for linux

Post by Markus Hoffman » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:22:52

> Hi ALL
> I'm looking for compiler  visual basic, were can I find a good development
> tools for visual basic?

Another experimental Basic interpreter with X11 support:
http://cip.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hoffmann/X11-Basic/
maybe it is usefull.
ciao
M.

visual basic for linux

Post by tripp.. » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:20:53

Quote:> VB is a horrid botchery.  Learn to use something decent, like Python.

I am a novice programmer learning to use VB.  I have heard good things
about Python, but I am curious why you say that about VB.  I am not
looking to start an anti-MS flame war, it's just that I am a newbie and
I am looking to learn.

Thanks.

Richard Trippeer

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

visual basic for linux

Post by John Hasle » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:22:28

Quote:Richard Trippeer writes:
> I am a novice programmer learning to use VB.  I have heard good things
> about Python, but I am curious why you say that about VB.

People have been designing programming languages for nearly fifty years
now, and over that time they have discovered quite a few principles of
language design.  VB violates all of them.

I can think of no worse choice for a novice programmer than VB.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

visual basic for linux

Post by tripp.. » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:27:34

Quote:> People have been designing programming languages for nearly fifty
years
> now, and over that time they have discovered quite a few principles of
> language design.  VB violates all of them.

> I can think of no worse choice for a novice programmer than VB.

Would you then recommend that I concentrate on non-language specific
programming techniques, or should I jump into Python or something like
it.  I have the Mark Lutz _Programming Python_. Is that a good place to
start?

Richard Trippeer

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

visual basic for linux

Post by Grant Edwar » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:34:35

>> People have been designing programming languages for nearly
>> fifty years now, and over that time they have discovered quite
>> a few principles of language design.  VB violates all of them.

>> I can think of no worse choice for a novice programmer than VB.

>Would you then recommend that I concentrate on non-language
>specific programming techniques, or should I jump into Python
>or something like it.

You can't learn to program without doing programming.  Jump in!

Quote:>I have the Mark Lutz _Programming Python_. Is that a good place
>to start?

I haven't looked at that specific book, but Python is regarded
as an excellent choice for a*language.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  We are now enjoying
                                  at               total mutual interaction in

visual basic for linux

Post by E » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:22:41

>Richard Trippeer writes:
>> I am a novice programmer learning to use VB.  I have heard good things
>> about Python, but I am curious why you say that about VB.

>People have been designing programming languages for nearly fifty years
>now, and over that time they have discovered quite a few principles of
>language design.  VB violates all of them.

>I can think of no worse choice for a novice programmer than VB.

Yes, but the funny fact is that a very very large number of actually
working programs out there have been written in VB.

I have been a VB developer, after being a C++/perl programmer for
years and years.

VB is actually 3 things. It is a BASIC with everything but the kitchen
sink. It is an IDE which is not without merit. It is also the
birthplace of OLE/ActiveX. This is a thriving market in software
components which wondeful. For $100 or so you can buy the most amazing
little tools, and they will plop right into your programs in minutes.
Manuals? Don't even bother! Its that simple!

Well, having worked in java and with free sw for a while I can
appreciate quality, which is why I have linux on my laptop and am
thinking about trying python.

But I am also enough of an engineer to realize that despising VB is
silly when it has solved so many problems and has been so successful.
Instead I recomend that you give it a try and see for yourself.

Of course, you would have to program for windows. But in VB its not a
problem. And considering how disfunctional windows can be, that is
pretty amazing!

I will have to look at this xbasic thing...

Ed

visual basic for linux

Post by John Hasle » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:24:02

Quote:Ed writes:
> But I am also enough of an engineer to realize that despising VB is silly
> when it has solved so many problems and has been so successful.  Instead
> I recomend that you give it a try and see for yourself.

I have, and got paid for it.  It wasn't enough.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

visual basic for linux

Post by Victor Wagn » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 05:53:56

:>People have been designing programming languages for nearly fifty years
:>now, and over that time they have discovered quite a few principles of
:>language design.  VB violates all of them.
:>
:>I can think of no worse choice for a novice programmer than VB.

: Yes, but the funny fact is that a very very large number of actually
: working programs out there have been written in VB.

No wonder than that hardware manufacters have such a profit.
Have all those programs been written on, say, eLisp, nobody ever
wanted for more than 486/100Mhz/64Mb RAM for single user workstation.

VB is excelent for quick and dirty solutions which are never going to be
extended or even used by people with another native language - all the
things are placed on the form using absolute positioning.

: I have been a VB developer, after being a C++/perl programmer for
: years and years.

: VB is actually 3 things. It is a BASIC with everything but the kitchen
: sink. It is an IDE which is not without merit. It is also the
: birthplace of OLE/ActiveX. This is a thriving market in software
: components which wondeful. For $100 or so you can buy the most amazing
: little tools, and they will plop right into your programs in minutes.
: Manuals? Don't even bother! Its that simple!

It is that very attitude that makes most Windows apps horrible mess
of components and dlls which cannot coexist on same machine.
Do it quickly, never think, customer will consume everything.

: Well, having worked in java and with free sw for a while I can
: appreciate quality, which is why I have linux on my laptop and am
: thinking about trying python.

: But I am also enough of an engineer to realize that despising VB is
: silly when it has solved so many problems and has been so successful.
: Instead I recomend that you give it a try and see for yourself.

Thanks, I've seen enough of javascript and java to despice anything big
vendors can produce.

: Of course, you would have to program for windows. But in VB its not a
: problem. And considering how disfunctional windows can be, that is
: pretty amazing!

Have you ever tried to program GUI on Tcl/Tk or Python/Tkinter?

--
Q: What's the big deal about rm, I have been deleting stuff for years?  And
   never lost anything.. oops!

visual basic for linux

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:52:35

> Have you ever tried to program GUI on Tcl/Tk or Python/Tkinter?

Say it like it brother!

Anybody who is looking for a programming language with the ease
of use of VB should really have a look at Python. The things that
can be done with Python and Tkinter in 100 lines of code (including
blanks lines and comments) is simply amazing.

Erik

"Python is the most efficient language I've ever used. It's 10 times
better than any of the other tools I have used. It's free, it's
object-oriented, it adapts to everything, it runs on everything. There
is almost an indescribable 'quality without a name' attraction on my
part."   --Bruce Eckel, Author of Thinking in Java

1. Announce: Visual Basic 5 Linux

VBVM is a portable version of MS Visual Basic 5 virtual machine.
VBVM enables unmodified VB5 executable files, compiled using the
pcode option, to execute on most computing platforms. Using VBVM,
VB5 programmers will be able to write multi-user, cross-platform
applications. UNIX programmers will be able to use VB5 as a UNIX
application development tool.

Proof-of-concept beta versions are now available for Linux, AIX,
DOS and Win 95/NT. Additional information and software is at
http://SoftworksLtd.com.

This is the initial announcement of VBVM availablility.

Softworks Limited                             http://SoftworksLtd.com
 Author of Softworks VBVM, a portable Visual Basic 5 Virtual Machine.
        Hold the Java. Run VB5 programs on any computer system.

2. Pentium 200 Dual Processor/ 128K RAM

3. visual basic for linux

4. What package has gdk_imlib.h?

5. Visual Basic & Linux

6. Linux and NT share swap space?

7. Visual Basic for Linux?

8. Can LESS scan for boldfaced text?

9. Visual Basic And Linux

10. visual basic alike and linux

11. Visual Basic for Windows on Linux ?

12. SMTP / POP with Visual Basic 6 and Linux

13. Is there a "Visual Basic" for Linux?