DVD decrypt sources

Post by dmjon » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

All,

Those of you who don't subscribe to comp.risks might be
interested in the following.

Followed the wired link to see the actual source.

derek

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:11:44 -0800

Subject: DVD lawyers make "trade secret" public

Lawyers representing the DVD industry got caught in an embarrassing gaffe
when they filed a lawsuit [against a Norwegian *ager and his father] and
accidentally publicized the computer code they wanted to keep secret.  The
DVD Copy Control Association included its "trade secret" source code in
court documents, but forgot to ask the judge to seal them from public
scrutiny.  Whoops.

In a hastily arranged hearing Wednesday morning, DVD CCA lawyers asked Santa
Clara Superior Court Judge William J. Elfving to correct their oversight,
and he agreed to keep the document confidential.

It may be a little late. The document is dated 13 Jan 2000 and is widely
available on the Web.  The owner of one site that placed the 140KB
declaration on-line says over 21,000 people have downloaded it so far.  [...]

    http://www.veryComputer.com/,1283,33922,00.html
  Distributed via Declan's POLITECH, a moderated mailing list of politics
  and technology.  See http://www.veryComputer.com/~declan/politech/ ]

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. Can anyone make me drivers for my cable modem?

3. Source for simple encrypt/decrypt

4. test

5. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

6. Thoughts on Xeon..

7. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

8. AT Modem Commands - How????

9. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

10. LG 8160b dvd-rom will not read dvd

11. hitachi dvd camcorder and panasonic mini dvd-ram disk

12. DVD/cd-rw fails to play DVD movies

13. Can any open source compiler convert C++ source to C source?