How to embed GNU regex in a Linux application?

How to embed GNU regex in a Linux application?

Post by Rene Pijlma » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm developing newsreader `skim' and I want to use the GNU regex package
for regular expression matching. When I install and build the package it
just creates an object file regex.o.

Is this object file typically part of a Linux library? Should I ask the user
of my newsreader to first install regex? If so, where can the installation
procedure of my newsreader find regex.o? Or am I supposed to distribute and
install regex.c as part of my newsreader?

Followups are directed to comp.os.linux.development.apps.

TIA,
--
-Ren\'e Pijlman-                      _-^^-_

                                   //   _ -  /
On no account allow a Vogon       || \  -  /\\
to read poetry at you.            ||  \___/ ||
- Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy ||       //|\

How to embed GNU regex in a Linux application?

Post by Matthew Crav » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,
>for regular expression matching. When I install and build the package it
>just creates an object file regex.o.

You are supposed to use the GNU regex calls in your program, and then
link the regex.o file in with your program when you link it. So, for
example, if all of your program code was in "myfile.c", you could do
the following:

           gcc -c myfile.c -o myfile.o
           gcc myfile.o /path/to/regex.o -o myprogram

/Matthew

Matthew Cravit, UPIT-ATD      | LINUX: The choice of a GNU Generation
DePaul University, Chicago IL |   "Venimus, vidimus, dolavimus"