Electronic CAE

Post by Robert Ritche » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know if there has been any attempt at developing a free
electronic CAE package for Linux.  This seems a natural but I have not been
able to find any references to such.  Would anyone be interested in starting
a project if one is not under way?

Electronic CAE

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if there has been any attempt at developing a free
> electronic CAE package for Linux.  This seems a natural but I have not been
> able to find any references to such.  Would anyone be interested in starting
> a project if one is not under way?

There is a project called gEDA (http://www.geda.seul.org/) that is
already underway and making good progress.

Erik

UNIX *is* user-friendly, just picky about who it
chooses for friends!

Electronic CAE

Post by Simon Kinaha » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > Does anyone know if there has been any attempt at developing a free
> > electronic CAE package for Linux.  This seems a natural but I have not been
> > able to find any references to such.  Would anyone be interested in starting
> > a project if one is not under way?

> There is a project called gEDA (http://www.geda.seul.org/) that is
> already underway and making good progress.

Interesting. Looks kinda like the Viewlogic schematic tools.

Seriously though, there is a hell of a lot of work in 'an electronic CAE
package'. gEDA seems to have the basics covered, but to be really serious
FreeHDL needs some work, and synthesis, place and route tools would also be
required. There is probably a great deal of PD, or free code from academic
projects that would make a starting point for these things.

Simon - speaking for himself and emphatically not for his employer

Electronic CAE

Post by Mike » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Interesting. Looks kinda like the Viewlogic schematic tools.
>Seriously though, there is a hell of a lot of work in 'an electronic CAE
>package'. gEDA seems to have the basics covered, but to be really serious
>FreeHDL needs some work, and synthesis, place and route tools would also be
>required. There is probably a great deal of PD, or free code from academic
>projects that would make a starting point for these things.

Right; so feel free to contribute as much as you like :-)

Regards
Michael

--
Unix soit qui mal y pense.

Electronic CAE

Post by Not a real addres » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Actually, there are a lot depending on what you are looking for. Check
out Electric from GNU for layout/schematic/simulation, recently GPL'ed.
Also there is SPICE, or for layout: Magic, Xdali, etc. Alot of packages
are available from universities. I've found synthesis, place-and-route,
etc. Check out:

http://www.gnu.org/software/electric/electric.html

for Electric. If not what your looking for, post here what it is and if
I know where to get it, I'll post the ftp/url.