Should I learn Modula-3? How?

Should I learn Modula-3? How?

Post by Fraser M Campbe » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:36:01



I want to learn how to program.  I have dabbled in C and understand the
basics but have never done anything very significant.  What I am wondering
is whether Modula-3 is worth learning ... that article in Linux Journal made
it sound very good!

Any advice on how to learn modula-3 would be appreciated - books, text
files, newsgroups, etc.  Also, I need some help with basic (language
independant) program development.  I have a couple of apps in mind and just
need some advice to get me of the ground ...  then I plan to learn as I go
along (probably not the best way ;).  I realize that eventually C is a
language I must become comfortable with especially using UNIX ... but
Modula-3 sounds intriguing!

So if you know of any good books (or whatever) outlining basic programming
concepts and perhaps on Modualla-3 please share your knowledge.  Thanks ...

 
 
 

Should I learn Modula-3? How?

Post by Chris Flatte » Sun, 26 Mar 1995 05:13:14



Quote:>I want to learn how to program.  I have dabbled in C and understand the
>basics but have never done anything very significant.  What I am wondering
>is whether Modula-3 is worth learning ... that article in Linux Journal made
>it sound very good!

> [...]

>So if you know of any good books (or whatever) outlining basic programming
>concepts and perhaps on Modualla-3 please share your knowledge.  Thanks ...

Try starting with

        Modula-3
        Samuel P. Harbison
        Prentice Hall
        ISBN 0-13-596386-6
        1992

(That's the Harbison of Harbison and Steele).  Some elementary programming
knowledge would be required.

My personal impression of the language is that it is a very good modular language
but that the object-oriented features are somewhat disappointing (genericity
is handled rather clumsily --- although there are plans to make it more automatic
--- and there is no support for multiple inheritance).

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, our problem stems from the fact that we, basically, allow every planet
and moon-base this side of Alpha Centauri to make their own version of Spam.
                                                        "Mystery Meat"
                                                        Man... or Astroman?

 
 
 

Should I learn Modula-3? How?

Post by Brian Burt » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 10:00:33





>>I want to learn how to program.  I have dabbled in C and understand the
>>basics but have never done anything very significant.  What I am wondering
>>is whether Modula-3 is worth learning ... that article in Linux Journal made
>>it sound very good!

>> [...]

>>So if you know of any good books (or whatever) outlining basic programming
>>concepts and perhaps on Modualla-3 please share your knowledge.  Thanks ...

>Try starting with

>    Modula-3
>    Samuel P. Harbison
>        Prentice Hall
>    ISBN 0-13-596386-6
>    1992

>(That's the Harbison of Harbison and Steele).  Some elementary programming
>knowledge would be required.

>My personal impression of the language is that it is a very good modular language
>but that the object-oriented features are somewhat disappointing (genericity
>is handled rather clumsily --- although there are plans to make it more automatic
>--- and there is no support for multiple inheritance).
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not that that matters.  Smalltalk and Objective C get along quite well
without the unnecessary complexity of MI.  (Please direct redundant
flame war about SI vs. MI to /dev/null or comp.object.  I won't
participate.)

Modula 3 is an excellent language with "clean" (IMHO) syntax and many
powerful features such as threads and garbage collection.  I highly
recommend it.  It is especially good for new programmers.
--

 
 
 

Should I learn Modula-3? How?

Post by F. Flor » Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:00:00



: I want to learn how to program.  I have dabbled in C and understand the
: basics but have never done anything very significant.  What I am wondering
: is whether Modula-3 is worth learning ... that article in Linux Journal made
: it sound very good!

Maybe. There is only one thing i would like to add (and *please*, i am NOT
interested i a religios flamewar on "what is the best programming languange",
folow up to /dev/null).
It is harder to start learning programming by doing this in C, but
it has one *big* advantage - after all you know about a languange, which
is practically used, at university, at commercial work, etc.
And nearly all OSes are written in C.
So, Modula2 (which i had to learn at university), Modula3, Oberon and all
the stuff is nice to learn programming - but later on, it seems to me that
you have to learn a language, which is used every day - and C is one of them...
Best wishes, Friedemann