Newbie question - libraries and kernel upgrade

Post by Colin Smi » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Hi, all,

>I'm trying to upgrade to the stable 2.2.14 kernel and have
>encountered a few obstacles.  I got the kernel sources and
>started upgrading my utilities and libraries to what the
>Changes file indicated. Now I'm having two problems.

>I upgraded ncurses with rpms to 5.0.7 from RedHat. Now,
>when I try to run make menuconfig, I get a message that
>says:

>"There seems to be a problem with the lxdialog companion
>utility which is built prior to running Menuconfig.
>Usually this is an indicator that you have upgraded/
>downgraded your ncurses libraries and did not remove the
>old ncurses header file(s) in /usr/include or
>/usr/include/ncurses."

Sounds like you need to upgrade your ncurses *development*
package. Look for *ncurses*dev* on your install media.

[snip]

--

|My Freeserve web pages:                         |        AKA        |
|http://www.yelm.freeserve.co.uk/                |    The W2K Bug    |

1. Newbie Kernel Upgrade Question

I have RH Linux 6.2 installed, with the 2.2.14-1 kernel I believe (whatever
came in the CD-ROM). I understand that 2.2.16-3 is the latest (or closest
to). I would like to upgrade but don't know if I can do it all at once
(i.e. 2.2.14-1 ---> 2.2.16-3) or if I must do it incrementally (i.e.
2.2.14-1 ---> later 2.2.14-X versions ---> earlier 2.2.16-X versions --->
2.2.16-3).

I excluded 2.2.15 from the above sequence because I believe 2.2.<odd #>
are development versions - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx in advance for your advice !!!

Justo M. Casablanca

2. Using CVS

3. NEWBIE QUESTION: Upgrading kernel

4. Compressing Utilities

5. Newbie Kernel Upgrade Question

6. subnet SCO box

7. newbie question : upgrading kernel

8. CDROM Trouble with Red Hat 6.X

9. Newbie needs help with library upgrade (dependency problem)

10. NEWBIE: How do we upgrade system libraries ?

11. Help, newbie upgrading shared libraries

12. Need walkthrough on upgrading libraries, compiler, kernel

13. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)