Wanted: Someone to write X application for ICQ

Wanted: Someone to write X application for ICQ

Post by Dave Haw » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

I'd dont think many Linux users are familiar with a Program called ICQ
since it only runs on win and macs. It is a communications program,
message, chat, file transfer etc accross the internet. I thought it
would be awsome if Miribalis (the owner of ICQ) to make a version for X.
I sent a email if they had plans, but I kinda doubt they will make a
version of ICQ for X. I added in the email to Miribalis that if they
were not willing to create a version for X, that a Linux enthusiest
might like to do it, if provided with documentation. I myself do not
have the skill and knowledge to program something like that. So what im
asking here, is if anyone is willing to write a Program able to connect
with the ICQ server, and do message, chat boxes etc. It'd most likely
have to be freeware (which most X stuff is) cus I don't think Miribalis
would like someone
making money off of them. Oh ya, i forgot to add, the ICQ software is
already completly free for win and mac, so i dont think they should have
a problem with a free version for ICQ. They'd most likely just put a
disclaimer that they have no resposibility for the Linux version or
something. Ssoooooooooo to sum things up, if anyone is interested,
contact me. I'm still waiting for a reply from ICQ.

                                Dave Haws

Post by Joe Bu » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

>I'd dont think many Linux users are familiar with a Program called ICQ
>since it only runs on win and macs. It is a communications program,
>message, chat, file transfer etc accross the internet. I thought it
>would be awsome if Miribalis (the owner of ICQ) to make a version for X.

If they use standard protocols (IRC for chat, FTP for file transfer, etc)
you can use standard tools.  If they use proprietary protocols, who needs
them?  If you like their user interface, build something similar on top
of standards.
--
-- Joe Buck     http://www.synopsys.com/pubs/research/people/jbuck.html

Help stamp out Internet spam: see http://spam.abuse.net/spam/

Wanted: Someone to write X application for ICQ

Post by Theo van der Krui » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

I read on their website that they are working on a Java version.  That
should work, shouldn't it?

theo.
--

PGP: 1024/3C03B6D1    B0 D2 7D DA AE 8C 3E 04  9B 50 60 3D 74 33 6C F3