undelete utilitie

Post by Christian Ord » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

is there a utilitie to undelete files and directories? All the utilities I've
found were at shell level (they replace the rm program by a wrapper, but files
not deleted using rm cannot be restored...) Undeleting directly using ext2fs is
quite complicated or not even possible. I thought of sth. at kernel or (g)libc
level.
I know such a thing from SCO Unix which also holds several versions of deleted or
overwritten files. The directories to be protected are listed in a rc-file (I'm
not sure if it is at user-level or one global rc-file...)

PS.: Please CC your answers also to my eMail address.

Thank you.

--
Christian Ordig
Germany

   __   _
  / /  (_)__  __ ____  __   | Why Linux? Because it is free, stable, and
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   | bugs can be fixed in source opposed to waiting
/____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\   | for a stable WinTendo from Micro$oft.

undelete utilitie

Post by Richard Horto » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Due to the way (AFAIK) Linux uses inodes to store files when you delete
a file it is deleted for good. When you remove a file it actually
removes the file's index entry in the inode lists and so for all intents
and purposes goodbye.

MeSsy - DOS (and therefore Win 9x) uses a totaly different method to
store files and all deleting does is to replace the filenames first
character in the directory with a deleted marker and allows the cluster
chain to be reused so a dos file could still be found until one of two
things :-
        1) The files culsters are reused
        2) The files FAT entry and Directory entry get wiped (the data is still
there but has to be peiced together by hand...)

> Hi,

> is there a utilitie to undelete files and directories? All the utilities I've
> found were at shell level (they replace the rm program by a wrapper, but files
> not deleted using rm cannot be restored...) Undeleting directly using ext2fs is
> quite complicated or not even possible. I thought of sth. at kernel or (g)libc
> level.
> I know such a thing from SCO Unix which also holds several versions of deleted or
> overwritten files. The directories to be protected are listed in a rc-file (I'm
> not sure if it is at user-level or one global rc-file...)

> PS.: Please CC your answers also to my eMail address.

> Thank you.

> --
> Christian Ordig
> Germany

>    __   _
>   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __   | Why Linux? Because it is free, stable, and
>  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   | bugs can be fixed in source opposed to waiting
> /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\   | for a stable WinTendo from Micro$oft.

--
"All staff happy, all projects on time, all customers happy.
 All pigs standing by and ready to fly..."

My opinions - when I have any - are my own and unless stated explicitly
in no way represent
those of my employers, friends, collegues, enemies.

Richard Horton.                 Graduate Software Engineer GEC-Easams.

1. utilities to undelete files for SunOS 5.x

Hi,

I've accidentally deleted some files which weren't supposed to be deleted
(yes, this makes *two* reasons for having backups - failed drives, and
accidentally deleting files), and I'm curious what utilities are available
to attempt recovery of such files?

Please get back to me with any details.

Regards,

Craig.
--

  Point a web browser at 'http://lios.apana.org.au/~cdewick/sun_shack.html' to
    access my archive of Sun information and links to other places. For info

2. Trusting Linux to NT

3. linux utilities for undelete

4. ODT Lite 3.0 on Pentium PCI Board

5. undelete on ext2fs | recover vs. undelete vs. debugfs

6. XFree86 4.0 with an ATI Rage Pro - help?

7. Difference between GNU Utilities & Standard UNIX utilities

8. DDE to UNIX Comm Driver or any other TCP/IP host via TCP/IP,Custom Drivers Avail.

9. Undelete

10. is there undelete for Linux?

11. looking for undelete

12. Undelete for FAT/VFAT?