Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Michael A. Rodion » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi there!
It seems to me that this group needs a FAQ.
It's too annoying to me to read 'where to get Adobe Acrobat for Linux'
and 'There SHOULD be freeware Motif' articles.
I dislike killfiles and I don't want to kill anything from this group,
so my suggestion is to write a FAQ.

If you want, I would be a maintainer. So, post me your Qs and As!

Here's a beginning Q and A-s. Correct me and my english if I'm wrong.
---------------
Q: Where to get Adobe Acrobat for Linux?
A: Adobe doesn't think Linux is an OS, so it doesn't want to
   spend money for developing Linux version.
   PDF files may be read by GhostView/GhostScript and by freeware
   PDF viewer called xpdf. It can be found at ftp.x.org and on sunsite.

Q: Where to get freeware version of Motif?
A: Nowhere. Motif is still commercial. There is a project called
   Lesstif (www.hungry.com ???) to develop freeware Motif clone.

Q: Why gcc fails with fatal signal 11
A: It's because your RAM chips are too slow (70ns on Pentium).
   gcc is the VERY hardnut application and it tryes to get all from your PC.
   Other apps may continue to work when gcc fails.
   The only known solution is to upgrade your SIMMs to 60ns ones.

-------
More to come.
Waiting for your comments....

/ModulaTor, Siberian Linux User Group, Russia

-----
 Michael A. Rodionov, NSU maths department, group 4141. Phone:+7-383-2-397895.

 General Keywords: Linux, UNIX, FTP, HylaFAX, HTML, IRC ][, Modula-2, DOOM ][.

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Joe Bu » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>It's too annoying to me to read 'where to get Adobe Acrobat for Linux'
>and 'There SHOULD be freeware Motif' articles.

The first question is off-topic.  The second is on-topic for people
actually working on a freeware Motif, but not for people who just
want to download one.

This is not c.o.l.apps-wanted, it is for developers of application
programs.  THAT is what the FAQ should say first: it should direct a lot
of people out of the group, either to the group that discusses the
particular application if there is one, or to c.o.l.misc.

Quote:>Q: Why gcc fails with fatal signal 11
>A: It's because your RAM chips are too slow (70ns on Pentium).
>   gcc is the VERY hardnut application and it tryes to get all from your PC.
>   Other apps may continue to work when gcc fails.
>   The only known solution is to upgrade your SIMMs to 60ns ones.

The answer here may not be correct.  This could also be due to an error
in gcc itself (though with the *PC hardware out there hardware
failures are more likely).  Those running the Pentium-patched gcc should
suspect the compiler instead in many cases.

If the same program and gcc version give the same crash on two different
machines, it's a gcc problem.

Also, you give only one possible memory problem; there could be others
(a bad bit in a DRAM somewhere, say).

--
-- Joe Buck     http://www.veryComputer.com/

Work for something because it is good,
not just because it stands a chance to succeed.    -- Vaclav Havel

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Reality is a point of vi » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

 | It seems to me that this group needs a FAQ.

Uh, yeah.

 | I dislike killfiles and I don't want to kill anything from this group,
 +----

I see that you use slrn, good.  Check out the scoring feature.
The good stuff bubbles up to the top (with the score sorting
patch) and the cruft settles to the bottom.  If you want to read
the dregs those articles are available, which isn't true with
killing articles.

--
Gary Johnson                                                   "Rosebud . . ."

                             CAMPAIGN '96: Juck 'em if they can't fake a toke.

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

Refer the user to http://www.hacktic.nl/sig11

--
James Youngman                               VG Gas Analysis Systems
The trouble with the rat-race is, even if you win, you're still a rat.

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Joseph Hartma » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Hi there!
: It seems to me that this group needs a FAQ.
: It's too annoying to me to read 'where to get Adobe Acrobat for Linux'
: and 'There SHOULD be freeware Motif' articles.
: I dislike killfiles and I don't want to kill anything from this group,
: so my suggestion is to write a FAQ.

: If you want, I would be a maintainer. So, post me your Qs and As!

: Here's a beginning Q and A-s. Correct me and my english if I'm wrong.
: ---------------
: Q: Where to get Adobe Acrobat for Linux?
: A: Adobe doesn't think Linux is an OS, so it doesn't want to
:    spend money for developing Linux version.
:    PDF files may be read by GhostView/GhostScript and by freeware
:    PDF viewer called xpdf. It can be found at ftp.x.org and on sunsite.

: Q: Where to get freeware version of Motif?
: A: Nowhere. Motif is still commercial. There is a project called
:    Lesstif (www.hungry.com ???) to develop freeware Motif clone.

: Q: Why gcc fails with fatal signal 11
: A: It's because your RAM chips are too slow (70ns on Pentium).

: -------
: More to come.
: Waiting for your comments....

: /ModulaTor, Siberian Linux User Group, Russia
Small correction? Do you mean "Moderator" instead of "ModulaTor"?
A moderator is the person who controls the flow into and out-of
a meeting.

I like your idea.  Thank you for your effort.

Best Regards,

Joe Hartmann
First Student at the:

      Linux Academy in the Sunshine Town of Newport, NH

Happy GPL and all that!

: -----

Post by Philippe Troi » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

    >> Q: Why gcc fails with fatal signal 11
    >> A: It's because your RAM chips are too slow (70ns on Pentium).

    >> gcc is the VERY hardnut application and it tryes to get all
    >> from your PC.  Other apps may continue to work when gcc fails.
    >> The only known solution is to upgrade your SIMMs to 60ns ones.

    Joe> The answer here may not be correct.  This could also be due
    Joe> to an error in gcc itself (though with the *PC hardware
    Joe> out there hardware failures are more likely).  Those running
    Joe> the Pentium-patched gcc should suspect the compiler instead
    Joe> in many cases.

    Joe> If the same program and gcc version give the same crash on
    Joe> two different machines, it's a gcc problem.

Or if the crash is reproductible any time at the same point, it's a
gcc problem. Hardware problems tend to be more random.

    Joe> Also, you give only one possible memory problem; there could be others
    Joe> (a bad bit in a DRAM somewhere, say).

*ed up first or second level cache, bad blocks in the swap
partition, ... The list is long.

Phil.

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Patrice Forti » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: >It's too annoying to me to read 'where to get Adobe Acrobat for Linux'
: >and 'There SHOULD be freeware Motif' articles.

: The first question is off-topic.  The second is on-topic for people
: actually working on a freeware Motif, but not for people who just
: want to download one.

: This is not c.o.l.apps-wanted, it is for developers of application
: programs.  THAT is what the FAQ should say first: it should direct a lot
: of people out of the group, either to the group that discusses the
: particular application if there is one, or to c.o.l.misc.

I agree but a lot of people make the same mistake when they read
comp.os.linux.development.apps, so we're flooded with this kind
                          ^^^^
of questions. I think the PDF question should be in the FAQ if it can
reduce the c.o.l.d.a trafic (with a note on c.o.l.mmaybe...).

just my 2 centimes.

--
Lokh.

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Dr. Erwin J. W. La » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> says...

 .... snip ....

Quote:> >Here's a beginning Q and A-s. Correct me and my english if I'm wrong.

Quote:> Refer the user to http://www.hacktic.nl/sig11

> --
> James Youngman                               VG Gas Analysis Systems
> The trouble with the rat-race is, even if you win, you're still a rat.

No, that URL does not exist. An alternative is:

 http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

- Dr Erwin J. W. Lam                   |       Tel: +41 - 21 - 6923779 -
- Institute de Cristallographie (BSP)  |                               -
- Universite de Lausanne               |       Fax: +41 - 21 - 6923605 -
- CH-1015 Lausanne                     |                               -

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Michael C. Vergalle » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  .... snip ....

What's wrong with most poeple  ..:-) They have about 10 search engines
they can use + use archie and some of those poeple have to still ask
where is this or that ... I just think that if you can't find it you
probably don't need it anyway...

Michael

Guys, we need a FAQ!

Post by Hartmut Niema » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Good idea!

1) point all sig11 victims to the bitwizard page.

2) add Q0: What is <the sunsite mirror near you>
       A0: As sunsite is one of the most comprehensive linux software
           sites, many other sites 'mirror' it, i.e. make a complete
           copy of all files on the sunsite and store them locally.
           If you can find (and you can!) a mirror near you, it will be
           MUCH faster to pick your stuff there.
           Pick the MIRRORS file in sunsites linux directory and pick a
           mirror that sounds close.
           Common sense will tell you how to translate file references to
           sunsite to references for a mirror.

3) replace sunsite with <the sunsite mirror near you> wherever applicable.

Remember, this FAQ must be understanable for the newbies!

1. m$-win guy needs linux help-need content fitering software

hello and thanks,
i am a 25+yr m$ guy.
i work for a company installing network servers into schools so the kids can
cruise the internet.
we have been using w2k. after using linux a bit, i am clear i could use it
instead.
the problem is finding all the software i need.
i need some kind of server based content filtering.
not ip packfiltering as done in a firewall but some filter or proxy that
could check for certain bad words and phrases in the web pages and that do
something. also to filter email messages as well.
i tried freshmeat and linux.org but i cannot find any.

thanks so much,
dave

2. SCSI Drive

3. Guys,Guys BeOS For Linux Is Here !!

4. kernel scheduler do_timer question

5. Sorry guys. FAQ?

6. Change of IP address

7. UNIX FAQ or UNIX ADMIN FAQ needed...

8. HP-UX: Redisplay an X-Windows Process

9. Windows guy needs advice

10. Cable modem guy tells me DOS has a better ping than Linux; we need to change ?

11. New guy needs direction (Windows sucks-can't afford Mac)

12. I'm a designer, not a UNIX guy, but I need help

13. hi guys need some help