GUI based text editor for code?

Post by Ano » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 06:52:29

Hi, I am looking for a text editor for programming, which is GUI based
(the editor, not the code).  I have tried VIM, and Xemacs, and
although they might be really good for the experienced, I'm looking
for something along the lines of textpad or visual slickedit(for
windows).  I would like color highlighting of code, goto line #
options, and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....I usually use
C++ or Java.

I have used eclipse, and it is pretty nice, but it runs really slow on
my machine, and I don't really like the "project" approach where it
sometimes seems difficult just to open a file and edit it, then try to
compile it.  If I need debugging I don't mind opening it in there but
the program is too large and slow when all you want is clean text
editing.

I also would like it to not add in a bunch of formatting (like some
editors which seem like word processors).  Although, being able to set
tab spacing etc, is pretty nice.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!  Thanks

BFF

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 07:03:22

> Hi, I am looking for a text editor for programming, which is GUI based
> (the editor, not the code).  I have tried VIM, and Xemacs, and
> although they might be really good for the experienced, I'm looking
> for something along the lines of textpad or visual slickedit(for
> windows).  I would like color highlighting of code, goto line #
> options,

Try nedit : http://nedit.org/

Really nice.

Quote:> and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....I usually use
> C++ or Java.

Whats wrong with an xterm?

Erik

Windows 2000 : The Tyrannosaurus Rex of the software
world. Large, ferocious and soon to be extinct.

GUI based text editor for code?

Post by Larry Ebbit » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:00:58

On 13 Jun 2002 14:52:29 -0700

> If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!  Thanks

I'd recommend Nedit.  It takes a couple of easy minutes to install, and
can be configuted. in any reasonable way.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux(Cntr #80621) + OS/2 - Atlanta

Post by John Bleicher » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:23:10

> Date: 13 Jun 2002 14:52:29 -0700

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.development.apps
> Subject: GUI based text editor for code?

> Hi, I am looking for a text editor for programming, which is GUI based
> (the editor, not the code).  I have tried VIM, and Xemacs, and
> although they might be really good for the experienced, I'm looking
> for something along the lines of textpad or visual slickedit(for
> windows).  I would like color highlighting of code, goto line #
> options, and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....I usually use
> C++ or Java.

Like the others said, Nedit is your friend. I use it a lot and it will do
syntax hilighting for quite a few languages. As for hooking it up to a
compiler (not recommended, use the command line) it *can* capture and
remember keystrokes.

If you want an editor with compiler integration, try Code Crusader:

http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/jcc/

I used to use it a lot (when it was free), but it had trouble with
extremely large files and I work with some biggies at my desk!

Nedit is the best, compile at the command line.

HTH - JB

/*
 * John Bleichert

 * http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg
 */

Post by John Bleicher » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:27:06

> > Hi, I am looking for a text editor for programming, which is GUI based
> > (the editor, not the code).  I have tried VIM, and Xemacs, and
> > although they might be really good for the experienced, I'm looking
> > for something along the lines of textpad or visual slickedit(for
> > windows).  I would like color highlighting of code, goto line #
> > options, and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....I usually use
> > C++ or Java.

Also note that visual slickedit is available for Linux, but not for free,
I'm sure. Lots of people use it in Linux (and AIX) at work.

/*
 * John Bleichert

 * http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg
 */

GUI based text editor for code?

Post by Ano » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:24:30

<SNIP MY OLD POST>

Quote:> Try nedit : http://nedit.org/

> Really nice.

That is great!  It almost exactly what I was looking for, much better
than anything I came up with on my own.  It has a lot of nice features
and is intuative, and easy to use.  Thanks a lot!  My life just got
easier.  Its real light too, real nice since I do most of the work
through a small line with VNC, that already creates a 1/2sec lag, and
when you add a slow comp onto that, it gets bad....but this is great.

Quote:> > and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....I usually use
> > C++ or Java.

> Whats wrong with an xterm?

> Erik

Nothing is really wrong with it, nothing is really wrong with pico
either ;)  I noticed nedit has a shell window, which isn't bad, but if
they had configurable toolbar buttons (like textpad) then when you are
testing a file on several compilers (ex: different java SDK versions)
you don't have to type in several paths etc, you just hit a different
buttons.  Its also nice to be able to have your own parser (used
somewhat like a macro), and add that as a button and you have one less
thing to type into an xterm.  I really like nedit, and will just use
an xterm for compiling, but there are some advantages to other
methods.

Thanks again for the tip!  I'm going to go tell all my friends.

BFF

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 17:07:34

> Hi, I am looking for a text editor for programming, which is GUI based
> (the editor, not the code).  I have tried VIM, and Xemacs, and
> although they might be really good for the experienced, I'm looking
> for something along the lines of textpad or visual slickedit(for
> windows).  I would like color highlighting of code, goto line #
> options, and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....I usually use
> C++ or Java.

> I have used eclipse, and it is pretty nice, but it runs really slow on
> my machine, and I don't really like the "project" approach where it
> sometimes seems difficult just to open a file and edit it, then try to
> compile it.  If I need debugging I don't mind opening it in there but
> the program is too large and slow when all you want is clean text
> editing.

> I also would like it to not add in a bunch of formatting (like some
> editors which seem like word processors).  Although, being able to set
> tab spacing etc, is pretty nice.

> If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!  Thanks

kdevelop - www.kdevelop.org/www.kde.org
eclipse - www.eclipse.org
JBuilder - www.borland.com is nice for java.
cooledit - http://cooledit.sourceforge.net/
kate - part of KDE

GUI based text editor for code?

Post by Ano » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 02:22:52

<SNIP MY OLD POST>
> Also note that visual slickedit is available for Linux, but not for free,
> I'm sure. Lots of people use it in Linux (and AIX) at work.

> /*
>  * John Bleichert

>  * http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg
>  */

Wow, thanks...I didn't know that...I didn't even look because I
figured that no one ported their stuff over (but I guess VSE isn't
"Framework" dependant).  The upgrade is only $99, now I'll have to ask
them if I can upgrade from an older windows version to the new Linux
version.

I really like nedit too though, especially for free.  One thing VSE
has over the others I really like, is the list of possible values it
"drops down" while coding...I don't have to remember/type all the
odd/long names (sometimes it even teaches me something, new options
for a new release I didn't know existed).

In any case, thanks to all that responded...I'm going to stick with
nedit for a little bit, and check out the demo of VSE for linux.

Thanks again,
BFF

I had problems posting with google, so I actually wrote the above
about an hour ago, since, I noticed someone else pointed out cooledit,
it looks decent too I might try it out.  I also downloaded and have
been using VSE demo, great easy install, and its the same interface as
with Windows.  If you are used to using this (or like it) in windows,
its a must have for linux.  I will be contacting them about an upgrade
tomorrow (see, linux users don't mind paying for good software)!

Again, thanks for all the links, I don't know why some of the distros
aren't packaging these programs with them(I have RH7.1 so maybe
they've added them now).

BFF

GUI based text editor for code?

Post by Ian MacLur » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 13:05:25

Quote:> Hi, I am looking for a text editor for programming, which is GUI based
> (the editor, not the code).  I have tried VIM, and Xemacs, and
> although they might be really good for the experienced, I'm looking
> for something along the lines of textpad or visual slickedit(for
> windows).  I would like color highlighting of code, goto line #
> options, and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....I usually use
> C++ or Java.

        I've taken to using Kate ( not Katey which is apparently a clonoid
        of some wildly popular Winders editor ).
        I'm a CLI guy from a ways back and for a GUI Kate is minimally
        annoying. The latest Vim with GUI for Winders is neat but only
        seems to be available ( 6.0av ) for Suse unless I've missed
        something.
        As to compiling, the command line is your friend. I tee the
        results into a file for posterity.

        IBM

      <><><><><><><>   The Worlds Uncensored News Source   <><><><><><><><>

GUI based text editor for code?

Post by Lee Sau Da » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 15:49:04

    Anon> Hi, I am looking for a text editor for programming, which is
    Anon> GUI based (the editor, not the code).

For text editing, why GUI?

    Anon>   I have tried VIM, and
    Anon> Xemacs, and although they might be really good for the
    Anon> experienced,

Obviously, you haven't tried (X)Emacs seriously enough.  You failed to
discover the following features:

    Anon>  I'm looking for something along the lines of
    Anon> textpad or visual slickedit(for windows).  I would like
    Anon> color highlighting of code,

M-x global-font-lock-mode

    Anon> goto line # options,

M-x goto-line

    Anon>  and to be able to hook it up to a compiler....

M-x compile

When the  error messages  appear, hit C-x  ` (eqv. M-x  next-error) to
jump to the offending lines.

    Anon> I usually use C++ or Java.

For Java, don't miss the JDE package for Emacs.

And  of  course,  as  a  programmer,  you  should  learn  to  use  M-x
global-set-key  to  bind  any  key   to  any  function  that  you  use
frequently.  E.g.   I myself bind F9  to "M-x compile" and  F8 to "M-x
next-error" so that  I can easily invoke the compiler  and jump to the
offending lines.   (Such a binding  of F8 and  F9 is a  tradition from
Borland's text-based IDE.)

And all the above mentioned features of (X)Emacs do work even when you
run it under a text-only console.

    Anon> I have used eclipse, and it is pretty nice, but it runs
    Anon> really slow on my machine, and I don't really like the
    Anon> "project" approach where it sometimes seems difficult just
    Anon> to open a file and edit it, then try to compile it.

So, go Emacs!

"Project"  is a  stupid idea  when  it is  something compulsory.   I'd
prefer a Makefile approach, which  is so much more flexible.  With GNU
make, you can even go without  a Makefile: just do a "make myprog" and
it will automatically discover your myprog.c and invoke gcc to compile
it!

    Anon> If I need debugging I don't mind opening it in there but the
    Anon> program is too large and slow when all you want is clean
    Anon> text editing.

In Emacs: M-x gdb

    Anon> I also would like it to not add in a bunch of formatting
    Anon> (like some editors which seem like word processors).

Go Emacs!

    Anon> Although, being able to set tab spacing etc, is pretty nice.

(X)Emacs  and  vi(m)  allow  you  to set  tab  spacing.   However,  my
experience is  that it is  a very very  bad idea to use  a non-default
(i.e.   8) tab  spacing and  RELY  on it  to do  code indenting.   The
indentations will get  messed up once you open  it in an editor/viewer
that has a  different tab space setting.  You'll  end up spending more
time on  customizing EVERY tool to  get the tab  spacing right.  Don't
forget the printing tool!  Disk  space is now cheap.  It justisfies to
use  the  space  character  to  do indentation  rather  than  the  TAB
character.  That  could save you lots of  troubles.  With compression,
the penalty vanishes.  (In  (X)Emacs, pressing TAB _key_ while editing
a C/C++/Java file  would insert enough spaces (not  TAB characters) to
get the indentation right.)

    Anon> If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!  Thanks

Learn (X)Emacs more seriously.

1. Survey - GUI based admin. vs. text based admin

Hi,

I'm writing a paper regarding text-based admin. vs. GUI based admin.
I'll thank you for answering these questions:

1. Can you define your experience with the following: (1 none, 5 expert)
    a. Windows.
    b. Unix (any version)
2. Please rank the following approaches for administration. (1. hate it, 5
the best)
   a. text based administration(configuration files)
   b. GUI based administration
   c. both
3. Can you explain the reasons for the selections you made ?

Thanks,
Avi.

2. can't find rc.local file

3. NEdit 4.0.1, High Quality GUI Text Editor for Unix

4. Where find cross ref program for C?

5. Need good Unix text editor with GUI

6. going the wrong direction

7. BRIEF/vi Compatible GUI Text Editor

8. no space left on device..huh?

9. GUI Text Editor - New Release

10. Announcing NEdit 4.0 -- GUI Unix Text Editor

11. NEdit 5.0 Standard GUI Text Editor

12. CRiSP Gui based programmers editor for solaris