one big lib vs. many small libs

Post by Phil Howa » Thu, 18 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I've got lots of library functions I've been writing over the ages,
which I have decided to get organized and put together in a useful
package, and produce a real shared library for them, instead of the
past practice of just statically linking them in each program that
uses them.

These functions fall into several distinct categories.  Would it
be better to make them all into one big library, or make them into
separate distinct smaller libraries?  I would tend to favor the
big library mostly because I tend to use all of them in many programs
(I did, of course, write what I considered to be useful).  Is there
a case for doing either particular way?

--
 --    *-----------------------------*      Phil Howard KA9WGN       *    --
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --

1. /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux and /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux

Hi Linuxers,

I just got a new copy of gcc-2.4.5 and source code of the pl11.
After having done the installation of gcc-2.4.5, I realised that
I have an extra directory: /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux.
The question is whether I need to keep the old gcc stuff under
the i386-linux.  I really like to clean it up so as to save 5.1
meg disk space (another poor Linux user  ;-( ).

Your answer is very appreciated.  Please send answer directly
to my address or the corresponding interest parties to reduce
the network load.  Thank you in advance.

Wing

2. telnet program source

3. Help - shared libs lib****.so.4 lib***.so.5

4. Custom URLs Not Showing Up in Web Stats?

5. /usr/openwin/lib/libtt.so vs /usr/dt/lib/libtt.so (and ttsession) ?

6. Unix PD

7. Dual setup questions(one small, one big)

8. Canon LBP4 and Ghostscript in Linux

9. Tell "configure" to use /usr/local/lib/sparcv9/ instead of /usr/local/lib/

10. network libs & opendir libs

11. undefined reference /lib/lib.so.6 (glibc-2.2.3 -> glibc-2.2-9)

12. Utility To Determine Static Libs In An Application (ldd for static libs)

13. mixing g++ libs with CC libs?