Porting from Djgpp(Dos) to linux

Porting from Djgpp(Dos) to linux

Post by Yasee » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00



Hi , ive just installed linux on my Pc, and would like to port over several
off my apps that have been written with Djgpp for Dos (Ver 2.0).
I know that , i wont have any problems porting the standard Libs over to
linux.But what about the Apps that use specific hardware calls ,etc.

Does linux allow u to write directly to the hardware like like i can do
with Dos , Will i have problems in porting over my sound and graphics libs
to Linux , or does linux come with an Api , to allow u to do such things .

Do i have to worry about switching for real to protected mode , when using
the hardware (Dos).

Whats the difference between Djgpp for dos , and Djgpp for Linux(Pc
version).

Are there any good tutorials on programming games under Linux

Please reply to my E-mail


*****************************************
*                                       *
*  Faithless is he that says farewell , *
*  When the road darkens                *
*                                       *
*  J.R.R.Tolkien The Lord of The Rings  *
*                                       *
*****************************************

 
 
 

Porting from Djgpp(Dos) to linux

Post by Yann Dirs » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00


For the record, `djgpp' is already a port to DOS of the `gcc' compiler
you'll find running on your linux system... I don't think doing a
"port" the other way would make any sense :-)

--
Yann Dirson (DEA Informatique fondamentale)
Arts et Metiers An 191



http://fillmore.univ-mlv.fr/~dirson

 
 
 

Porting from Djgpp(Dos) to linux

Post by Tero Pulkkin » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00


Quote:

> Hi , ive just installed linux on my Pc, and would like to port over several
> off my apps that have been written with Djgpp for Dos (Ver 2.0).
> I know that , i wont have any problems porting the standard Libs over to
> linux.But what about the Apps that use specific hardware calls ,etc.

Hardware calls should be replaced with functions from XLib or svgalib,
depending on which way you want to run your software.

Quote:> Does linux allow u to write directly to the hardware like like i can do
> with Dos , Will i have problems in porting over my sound and graphics libs
> to Linux , or does linux come with an Api , to allow u to do such things .

I dont think you have problems with porting, if you dont have to port too
many places... If its in a clear library, there's no problem.

Quote:> Do i have to worry about switching for real to protected mode , when using
> the hardware (Dos).

There's only protected mode.

And you dont have to (and cant) use dos.

Quote:

> Whats the difference between Djgpp for dos , and Djgpp for Linux(Pc
> version).

its called gcc or g++ in Linux. (well, actually there's no djgpp for
linux, but djgpp is based on gcc and g++)

Quote:> Are there any good tutorials on programming games under Linux

Yes, they come with the development system or with the library you're
using. Over 98% of any information you are going to need is in the faqs
and howto's that come with the same cd as for example RedHat's distribution.

--

 
 
 

1. DJGPP DOS port of bash and command line length.

Does the DOS port of bash allow unlimited command
line length (as it would under Unix) or is that a
function of something other than the shell?

I ask because I've run into COMMAND.COM's limit
with a particular command line and am wondering
if I could fix this with bash...

Where, logically, should this question even be
posted?  I can't for the life of me decide where
it would be on topic.  I've asked before in the
DJGPP ng and got no responses.

--
[Insert hilarious quote here.]

-- jonadab

2. NetStats Baseball v0.9.1

3. compiling dos exe's from linux?--crosscompiler or djgpp/dosemu.

4. 4.0.1->3.3.6 downgrade problem

5. porting DJGPP graphics code to compile+run under Linux

6. How to findout the week of the day.

7. Compiling for DJGPP DOS-extender

8. I want Webster dictionary for Linux

9. Plans of porting DJGPP's Allegro library to SVGAlib?

10. HELP: Connectivity between DOS/DOS and DOS/Linux

11. gcc error while building a linux-x-djgpp cross compiler

12. Linux->MSDOS djgpp cross compiler

13. gcc "make error" when building a linux-x-djgpp cross compiler