clone()?

Post by Peter Schüll » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi!

According to the clone() man page, clone() isn't handled
correctly when copy-on-write is not specified, nor is clone()
by default active (CLONE_ACUTALLY_WORKS_OKEY), and nor does
clone() exist in newer version of libc.

Now, is there a clone() equivalent that I can use?
I can't use fork(), since what I want is to create a
process/thread/whatever-you-wanna-call-it that shares
the same memory as the parent (copy-on-write results in
unneccessary mem-copying).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

/ Peter Schuller

clone()?

Post by Wolfram Gloge » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> According to the clone() man page, clone() isn't handled
> correctly when copy-on-write is not specified, nor is clone()
> by default active (CLONE_ACUTALLY_WORKS_OKEY), and nor does
> clone() exist in newer version of libc.

All of these statements are false (for kernels past 2.0); the manual
page seems to be completely out of date on your system (IMHO there
shouldn't be a manual page for clone() at all).

Quote:> Now, is there a clone() equivalent that I can use?
> I can't use fork(), since what I want is to create a
> process/thread/whatever-you-wanna-call-it that shares
> the same memory as the parent (copy-on-write results in
> unneccessary mem-copying).

Use POSIX threads, such as provided by the LinuxThreads package or
with the new C library, glibc2.  You won't have to know anything about
clone() then; it is all handled by the libraries.

Regards,
Wolfram.

1. Cloning LSM disks and using the clones on 5.1A

Hello,
I have an LSM stripe of 4 disks.
I cloned the disks and am using the clones on a different server.
When I run "voldisk define /dev/disk/...." I see the the status of the
cloned disks is "online aliased".

This means I cannot use the disks and "import" the disk-group as I did
before 5.1A.
Did anyone manage to do that on 5.1A ?

Thank you
Dor

2. netstat on solaris 2.6 vs 2.5

3. Made a clone of Linux server and that clone is very ill....

4. Problem with Samba and Windows

5. bk clone: doing twice saying, clone: 'reponme' already exists..but cvs co is not doing that..??

6. slowing down or turning off key repetition

7. Netstat and cloning ?

8. Zip Drive problem

9. SUN Clones

10. clone and unsheared globals

11. YDL-BIOS not enabling ne2k clone ethernet card

12. copying / cloning a system disk, can't find an exact answer.

13. NE2000 CLONE