EXT2 warning

Post by Chris Fr » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

     Recently, the power went off and I had to fix my ext2fs with
fsck.  My problem is that even though it seems like I've fixed my
fs, I still get the following warning on boot-up:

     EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck recommeded.

     I've gone single user and run "fsck /dev/hda4" and
"fsck -A -av /dev/hda4", but I still get the warning.

     Help....
     - Chris

EXT2 warning

Post by Eric Buddingt » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:
:      EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck recommeded.
:
:      I've gone single user and run "fsck /dev/hda4" and
: "fsck -A -av /dev/hda4", but I still get the warning.

If you shutdown using the -f switch, it creates a file /fastboot,
which suppresses the otherwise normal fscking on bootup. At least
it does on debian. Do it without the -f, and fscking should happen
normally. Assuming this was the problem, anyway... :)

Eric Buddington

EXT2 warning

Post by Chris Fr » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: :
: :      EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck recommeded.
: :

: If you shutdown using the -f switch, it creates a file /fastboot,
: which suppresses the otherwise normal fscking on bootup. At least
: it does on debian. Do it without the -f, and fscking should happen
: normally. Assuming this was the problem, anyway... :)

     Not quite.  The above message is actually a kernel message,
(i.e. I can find it using grep in /usr/src/linux/fs/ext2/super.c)
and I'm wondering how to fix it so I don't get that warning
anymore.

     Perhaps it is my fsck version... I think I'm using the 0.5 ALPHA
version of fsck.ext2.

     Thanks for the reply

EXT2 warning

Post by Roger P. Doole » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

>      Recently, the power went off and I had to fix my ext2fs with
> fsck.  My problem is that even though it seems like I've fixed my
> fs, I still get the following warning on boot-up:

>      EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck recommeded.

>      I've gone single user and run "fsck /dev/hda4" and
> "fsck -A -av /dev/hda4", but I still get the warning.

>      Help....
>      - ChrisChris, Maybe you're using e2fsck on a mounted file system.  I've found

that using my original system install boot disk - the one we used
rawwrite.exe to create - and a rescue.gz disk, found , on my slackware
cdrom,  under rootdsks, I boot:ramdisk, insert the rescue.gz disk when
prompted, then login. I am then able to use the e2fsck utility to run
e2fsck -y on all of my unmounted partitions.

EXT2 warning

Post by Chris Fr » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: >      EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck recommeded.
: >
: >      I've gone single user and run "fsck /dev/hda4" and
: > "fsck -A -av /dev/hda4", but I still get the warning.

: Chris, Maybe you're using e2fsck on a mounted file system.  I've found
: that using my original system install boot disk - the one we used
: rawwrite.exe to create - and a rescue.gz disk, found , on my slackware
: cdrom,  under rootdsks, I boot:ramdisk, insert the rescue.gz disk when
: prompted, then login. I am then able to use the e2fsck utility to run
: e2fsck -y on all of my unmounted partitions.

     The problem ended up being that my root fs was mounted
read/write.  When I shutdown to single user mode, and remounted
root with "mount -n -o remount,ro /" and *then* ran e2fsck,
the warning went away.  Your method is probably the safest, though.

     Thanks,
     - Chris

1. Worrying ext2 warning messages

Hi,

Just recently (although I don't know how recently, I don't boot my system
very often), I've been getting these warnings (from memory, so they're not
exactly right):

EXT2-fs warning:  incorrect block count for group 3 (counted= something...
EXT2-fs warning:  maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended

The filesystem is marked clean, and doing an 'e2fsck -f' finds nothing wrong.
I do occasionally get "goal out of bounds" messages for the last block in the
fs, but they don't seem to matter either.

I am concerned by these messages, though - is it worth me rebuilding the
filesystem, or should I just ignore them?

Cheers,

Ian.

--

[ Ian Chard, Systems Integration |  "But they look like limpet mines!"        ]

2. Printing from Linux on a Win98 Comp by using Samba ?!?!?

3. two questions SCSI UW and "EXT2-fs warning (device 08:02):"

4. IRC 2.9 problems

5. EXT2-FS warning for nonexistant FS?

6. Change default bootblk

7. EXT2-fs warning