How far are we away from an all-ELF Slackware distribution ?

How far are we away from an all-ELF Slackware distribution ?

Post by Pim Zandberg » Mon, 12 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I guess it would be much easier to just load a new Slackware
distribution than to install the new ELF development stuff
and start recompiling *everything*.

I am just wondering how long the waiting will be. Is there any
news on this subject ?
--

S-mail : van Loostraat 101, 2582 XB The Hague, The Netherlands
Phone  : +31 70 3541560

Post by Donnie Barn » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>: Pardon me for being entirely commercial in nature, but the August
>: release of Red Hat Commercial Linux will be entirely ELF based.  It
>: will support a.out binaries, but the entire release will be ELF.

>: I don't have any idea what the Slackware schedule is, so don't flame me
>: if they plan to be all ELF any sooner.

>Do you know if the final release of Caldera will be ELF based?  Or if the
>current beta's are?

Caldera is based entirely on Red Hat Commercial Linux.  They
will be ELF in their August release as well, but not before.

--Donnie

--
Donnie Barnes
Systems Programmer

Post by Erik Tro » Wed, 14 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Caldera is based entirely on Red Hat Commercial Linux.  They
>will be ELF in their August release as well, but not before.

Caldera and Red Hat are staying with a.out because it is much more stable
then ELF. Using ELF requires gcc 2.6.3 or above and C libraries 5.0.x.
It's been our experience that gcc 2.5.8 and libc 4.5.26 provide the most robust
enivornment for users and developers.

Right now we're betting that libc 5.x and gccc 2.7.x will prove to be stable
enough for us to ship them. If that happens by August, we'll have
an August release. However, if in the rush to ship ELF binaries we end
up with unstabilities, what have we gained?

Don't move to ELF unless you know why you're doing it. While it does
work well and is a huge boon to developers, users don't need it yet.

Erik
 "Eggheads unite!  You have nothing to lose but your yolks" - Adlai Stevenson
              Erik Troan         http://sunsite.unc.edu/ewt/

Post by Steve Dunh » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: >Caldera is based entirely on Red Hat Commercial Linux.  They
: >will be ELF in their August release as well, but not before.

: Caldera and Red Hat are staying with a.out because it is much more
: stable then ELF. Using ELF requires gcc 2.6.3 or above and C
: libraries 5.0.x.  It's been our experience that gcc 2.5.8 and libc
: 4.5.26 provide the most robust enivornment for users and developers.

except that 2.5.8 won't compile the 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 kernels correctly :)

: Right now we're betting that libc 5.x and gccc 2.7.x will prove to
: be stable enough for us to ship them. If that happens by August,
: we'll have an August release. However, if in the rush to ship ELF
: binaries we end up with unstabilities, what have we gained?

I wholehearted agree - ELF shouldn't be shipped until 2.7.0 comes out.
2.7.0 should be quite stable on Linux - the alpha versions are being
extensively tested by developers and people with lots of time on their
hands.

Steve

How far are we away from an all-ELF Slackware distribution ?

Post by Marc E. Christense » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I think another good question is wheter or not the next Slackware will have a
gcc which has Pentium optimisations...

--
           _/_/_/       Salt Lake Linux Users Group     _/_/_/
          _/_/*/_/_/|    _ http://www.sllug.org __     _/_/*/_/_/|

          Marc Christensen - Director of Public Relations

1. webhosting.com - stay away... far far away

i made a big mistake hosting with webhosting.com

they do not respond to support and don't know what they are doing. i've
tried everything with them. i havn't heard anything from them in over a
week (they claim 48 hour response). i've even escalated to the
president, three times, and still heard nothing. their 'live support'
feature is a fraud. it is NEVER staffed.

stay away from webhosting.com

i'd love to hear from others with similar experience. they've cost me a
lot of time and money and i intend to get it back.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Telnetting into Slackware 1.1.2 from some telnets

3. Remote SSH

4. Long ago, in a partition far, far away...

5. sed and quote marks

6. Newbie: "Linux has come so far only to seem so far away"

7. Trantor SCSI Host Adapter

8. Problems with Slackware 3.0.0 ELF distribution

9. Kernel threads & ELF-based Slackware distribution

10. ELF Distribution (not WalnutCreek slackware 3.0!)

11. ELF Slackware distribution

12. ELF Linux Distribution on CD-ROM - 100% ELF