ELF object format

Post by Karsten Wutzk » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:46:36

Hi all!

I heard there's an object format called ELF, which produces object files
that can be linked in Linux(/Unix?) as well as in Windoze? Can anyone
confirm? Is it the ELF format? Which compilers support it? GCC? How do I
find out and/or how do I set gcc to ELF?

So many questions...

Thanks for your help!

Karsten

ELF object format

Post by Erik Hense » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:09:26

>I heard there's an object format called ELF, which produces object
>files that can be linked in Linux(/Unix?) as well as in Windoze? Can
>anyone confirm? Is it the ELF format? Which compilers support
>it? GCC? How do I find out and/or how do I set gcc to ELF?

No, IIRC Windows uses the COFF executable format, which is the predecessor
of ELF on some Unices.
This outdated COFF format is the reason why Windows can't properly handle
shared libraries (DLL's).

I think currently all Unix versions support ELF.

--

 12:07pm  up 48 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.25, 1.06, 0.98

ELF object format

Post by Norman Blac » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:18:23

Quote:> No, IIRC Windows uses the COFF executable format, which is the predecessor
> of ELF on some Unices.

Yes and no. Win32 uses the PE file (executable only), which is a Microsoft
extension of COFF. It has most of the COFF data structures but much of the
really importing information is pure Microsoft.

Quote:> This outdated COFF format is the reason why Windows can't properly handle

shared libraries (DLL's).

Excuse me ...please elaborate. Specifically "properly handle".

The only real differences between the two systems is how the dynamically
linked libraries are dynamically linked, and this has nothing to do with ELF
or PE/COFF. Microsoft defined their own way (gee what a surprise) and Linux
uses the Unix System V defined way. I assume this is the point of your
statement. That SystemV style dynamic linking is better than what Microsoft
choose.

--
Norman Black
Stony Brook Software

> >I heard there's an object format called ELF, which produces object
> >files that can be linked in Linux(/Unix?) as well as in Windoze? Can
> >anyone confirm? Is it the ELF format? Which compilers support
> >it? GCC? How do I find out and/or how do I set gcc to ELF?

> No, IIRC Windows uses the COFF executable format, which is the predecessor
> of ELF on some Unices.
> This outdated COFF format is the reason why Windows can't properly handle
> shared libraries (DLL's).

> I think currently all Unix versions support ELF.

> --

>  12:07pm  up 48 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.25, 1.06, 0.98

1. doc for the ELF object format

Hello,

I'm looking for a documentation about the record structure of
the *.o files in ELF format.

Thanks Karsten

--
Dipl.Ing. Karsten Keil                        Microcontroller Developement

or previous employers.

2. upgrade libraries

3. Reading ELF format object files using GNU tools on the Power Maxion

4. Seagate SCSI *almost* working...

5. Object File Formats: ELF, ECOFF

6. progamming serial port.

7. C/elf library and object formats?

8. Which is better, Win98 or Linux?

9. File format for ELF object files

10. Attempt to migrate a.out objects (Motif static library) to ELF objects

11. COFF format, ELF format of an executable in linux

12. Help compiling non-ELF objects

13. /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXaw.so.6" not found ????