Solution to xxgdb problem!

Post by Ernie van der Me » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi everyone.

Two days ago I posted about a problem with my xxgdb and slackware 3.0.
My main xxgdb window was all messed up with each letter in each word
occuring twice. I have had several reports of other people with the
same problem. Fortunately someone also handed me the solution:

:Hi, I just fixed that problem.  You need to get the source code for xxgdb from
:the slackware/source/xapps directory on some slackware mirror.  Find the line
:in calldbx.c, (line 367) that reads:
:
:#ifdef SYSV
:        setvbuf(dbxfp, dbxfbuf, _IONBF, BUFSIZ);
:#else
:
:and change _IONBF to _IOFBF, i.e:
:
:#ifdef SYSV
:        setvbuf(dbxfp, dbxfbuf, _IOFBF, BUFSIZ);
:#else
:
:After you run xmkmf, make sure that one of the flags is -DSYSV (it is by
:default on my system.)  This fixed the problem for me.
:
:--

I did just this and all my troubles are gone! Hope the people who sent
me email will read this.

Happy debugging and thanks for helping me out here!
--

Physics Laboratory, Utrecht University        tel. : (+31)-(0)30-2534566
P.O. Box 80.000                               fax. : (+31)-(0)30-2537555

Solution to xxgdb problem!

Post by Adam P. Jenkin » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Hi everyone.

>Two days ago I posted about a problem with my xxgdb and slackware 3.0.
>My main xxgdb window was all messed up with each letter in each word
>occuring twice. I have had several reports of other people with the
>same problem. Fortunately someone also handed me the solution:

>:Hi, I just fixed that problem.  You need to get the source code for xxgdb from
>:the slackware/source/xapps directory on some slackware mirror.  Find the line
>:in calldbx.c, (line 367) that reads:
>:
>:#ifdef SYSV
>:        setvbuf(dbxfp, dbxfbuf, _IONBF, BUFSIZ);
>:#else
>:
>:and change _IONBF to _IOFBF, i.e:
>:
>:#ifdef SYSV
>:        setvbuf(dbxfp, dbxfbuf, _IOFBF, BUFSIZ);
>:#else
>:
>:After you run xmkmf, make sure that one of the flags is -DSYSV (it is by
>:default on my system.)  This fixed the problem for me.
>:
>:--

>I did just this and all my troubles are gone! Hope the people who sent
>me email will read this.

>Happy debugging and thanks for helping me out here!
>--

>Physics Laboratory, Utrecht University        tel. : (+31)-(0)30-2534566
>P.O. Box 80.000                               fax. : (+31)-(0)30-2537555
>3508 TA Utrecht, The Netherlands

You're welcome.  After fixing the above, I received the following message,
informing me of a newer version of xxgdb.  I tried the newer version and indeed
it doesn't have the bug I fixed.  So I needn't have spent the time fixing it :(
Thanks to the author.

--

Solution to xxgdb problem!

Post by Ivo Kambe » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

i have a different problem with xxgdb (1.12)
whenever i click on 'file' all i get is

/dev/ttyp4: Permission denied
Segmentation violation

then the thing hangs for a few seconds and finished

what am i doing wrong here??
--
Dr. Ivo Kamber
Paul Scherrer Institute

 phone: ++41 56 310 4092 / 2051
   fax: ++41 56 310 4413 / 2199

1. xxgdb problem & solution

I too have been having problems getting xxgdb to work.
I am running 1.2.13 from the Yggdrasil PnP Fall '95 Rev B
distribution.  I have been following the xxgdb thread(s)
for some time looking for a solution to my problem.

When I started xxgdb I'd see something like the following:

GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.14 (i486-unknown-linux), Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
0x1b[?1h0x1b[=(gdb)

and so on.  xxgdb didn't understand any of the responses from gdb.

Here's how I solved my problem.
1.  snagged gdb-4.14.tar.gz & untarred.
2.  applied following patch (I got the patch from following this thread -
    unfortunately I don't remember from whom - THANK YOU WHOEVER YOU ARE!)

    gdb/inflow.c line 247
    -    if (!attach_flag)
    +    if (!attach_flag && errno != ENOTTY)

3.  built & installed gdb.
4.  snagged xxgdb-1.12.tar.gz from ftp.x.org

5.  built & installed xxgdb.

All is now well with the world.

Hope this solves someone else's problems with xxgdb.

Doug Walker

2. sound card hangs on dirty reboot

3. perms on xxgdb and loading SO's in xxgdb

4. Several Questions

5. Installation

6. xxgdb problem... (debugger package)

7. ping only sends 1 packet