NT WWW Server vs. Sun Sparc5 or SGI Indy Comparison Wanted

NT WWW Server vs. Sun Sparc5 or SGI Indy Comparison Wanted

Post by Robert Stockma » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

:[ Article crossposted from comp.unix.questions,comp.sys.sun.hardware,
:  comp.infosystems.www.providers,alt.news.microsoft ]
:[ Author was Josh Renzema ]
:[ Posted on 16 May 1995 16:51:04 GMT ]
:
:We run a WWW Server (WebSite) on a 90 Mhz Pentium running NT-AS.  We receive
:about 9000 requests per day and about 300 WAIS Searches.  The Server has 32 MB
:and it is not even noticeable.
:
:
:Josh
:

I'm getting a little suspicious here now....What is happening:

NCSA releases its httpd version 1.4 which is not supported for Linux.
Netscape netserver just tells that Linux is buggy and is not supported.

Now I read this, and so we are suggested to buy NT-AS with expensive
WWW server software...Hmm I think that the Linux community is being fooled.
I think its ridiculous that both browser and server should be commercial
software.

Robert

--
++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann            ||   Delft University of Technology       ||

|| phone: +31 15  784395     ||   Section Industrial Catalysis         ||
|| home:  +31 1620 36177     ||   Julianalaan 136                      ||
|| fax:   +31 17  784452     ||   2628 BL Delft  The Netherlands       ||
++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++

Post by Vince Mel » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

>I'm getting a little suspicious here now....What is happening:

>NCSA releases its httpd version 1.4 which is not supported for Linux.

What do you mean "not supported"? I ftp to ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
and I see Linux binaries for httpd 1.4.

For fun, I download the source, type "make linux",
and it compiles.

In addition, there is the (free) Apache server which also compiles and runs
under Linux.

In addition, there is the (free) WN server which also compiles and runs
under Linux.

There are at least two others that I haven't listed.

Quote:>Netscape netserver just tells that Linux is buggy and is not supported.

Why do you want to run their server? For most applications,
I doubt it's worth the money.

Quote:

>Now I read this, and so we are suggested to buy NT-AS with expensive
>WWW server software...Hmm I think that the Linux community is being fooled.
>I think its ridiculous that both browser and server should be commercial
>software.

There are plenty of free browsers that run under Linux. Mosaic, chimera,
tkwww, to name a few. (Of course, if you want to give yourself a headache
looking at blinking text and ugly backgrounds, netscape may be the only
choice.)

>Robert

>--
>++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++
>|| R.M. Stockmann            ||   Delft University of Technology       ||

>|| phone: +31 15  784395     ||   Section Industrial Catalysis         ||
>|| home:  +31 1620 36177     ||   Julianalaan 136                      ||
>|| fax:   +31 17  784452     ||   2628 BL Delft  The Netherlands       ||
>++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++

-Vince Melfi

Post by Brian J. Swetla » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

: I'm getting a little suspicious here now....What is happening:

: NCSA releases its httpd version 1.4 which is not supported for Linux.
: Netscape netserver just tells that Linux is buggy and is not supported.

: Now I read this, and so we are suggested to buy NT-AS with expensive
: WWW server software...Hmm I think that the Linux community is being fooled.
: I think its ridiculous that both browser and server should be commercial
: software.

Relax.  Its not some bizzare *.  NCSA httpd 1.4 *does* support
Linux.  It won't compile with fd passing on yet because Linux doesn't
support fd passing (other than using /proc) yet.  It still runs fine
under Linux (I'm using 1.4b2 right now under 1.2.8. No problems).

When Linux supports fd passing (probably somewhere in 1.3.x) it will
be fully supported.  Worry not.

Brian

--
 Brian J. Swetland

 NCSA SDG Mosaic/X Developer
 http://www.veryComputer.com/~swetland/

Post by M. Ell » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

: : NCSA releases its httpd version 1.4 which is not supported for Linux.
: : Netscape netserver just tells that Linux is buggy and is not supported.
<chomp>
: Relax.  Its not some bizzare *.  NCSA httpd 1.4 *does* support
: Linux.  It won't compile with fd passing on yet because Linux doesn't
: support fd passing (other than using /proc) yet.  It still runs fine
: under Linux (I'm using 1.4b2 right now under 1.2.8. No problems).

: When Linux supports fd passing (probably somewhere in 1.3.x) it will
: be fully supported.  Worry not.

Would you mind posting it (or the patches needed) somewhere?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate it!

: Brian

: --
:  Brian J. Swetland

:  NCSA SDG Mosaic/X Developer
:  http://www.veryComputer.com/~swetland/

Thanks

--

Marty Ellis, Ellis Energy Consulting           Wendy Ellis, Ellis Elegance
Demand Side Management                         Discount Wedding/Bridal Shoes

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Sat, 20 May 1995 04:00:00

>: I'm getting a little suspicious here now....What is happening:

>: NCSA releases its httpd version 1.4 which is not supported for Linux.
>: Netscape netserver just tells that Linux is buggy and is not supported.

>: Now I read this, and so we are suggested to buy NT-AS with expensive
>: WWW server software...Hmm I think that the Linux community is being fooled.
>: I think its ridiculous that both browser and server should be commercial
>: software.

>Relax.  Its not some bizzare *.  NCSA httpd 1.4 *does* support
>Linux.  It won't compile with fd passing on yet because Linux doesn't
>support fd passing (other than using /proc) yet.

This is exactly what I implemented. FD passing through /proc for NCSA httpd 1.4.
Took me 20 minutes, and the code is way simpler than the equivalent code
for BSD or SysV. Get it from ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/linux/www/....

Quote:>It still runs fine
>under Linux (I'm using 1.4b2 right now under 1.2.8. No problems).

>When Linux supports fd passing (probably somewhere in 1.3.x) it will
>be fully supported.  Worry not.

It works now :-) (But I prefer Apache).

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg  +

Post by Jan Hinnerk Ha » Sun, 21 May 1995 04:00:00

>I'm getting a little suspicious here now....What is happening:
>NCSA releases its httpd version 1.4 which is not supported for Linux.
>Netscape netserver just tells that Linux is buggy and is not supported.
>Now I read this, and so we are suggested to buy NT-AS with expensive
>WWW server software...Hmm I think that the Linux community is being fooled.
>I think its ridiculous that both browser and server should be commercial
>software.

Is there any specific reason for not using the 'real' httpd, the one from CERN?

Jan
--
(*) It's also in the public domain if the creator has been dead for 50 years.
If anybody dead for 50 years is posting to the net, let me know. - B.Templeton

Post by Robert Stockma » Mon, 22 May 1995 04:00:00

: >I'm getting a little suspicious here now....What is happening:

: >NCSA releases its httpd version 1.4 which is not supported for Linux.
: >Netscape netserver just tells that Linux is buggy and is not supported.

: >Now I read this, and so we are suggested to buy NT-AS with expensive
: >WWW server software...Hmm I think that the Linux community is being fooled.
: >I think its ridiculous that both browser and server should be commercial
: >software.

: Is there any specific reason for not using the 'real' httpd, the one
: from CERN?

Hah! just have your web-site announced to the "Whats-New" page of netscape.com.
And watch you system run at its knees if you don't have advanced httpd
daemon server software running like NCSA's httpd with multiple daemons, or the
commercial netscape server which support's multiple batch processing.

By accident our site got announced at that page and our machine ( a DEC
station 5000/125 with 16 Mb ram) crashed several times when running
NCSA's httpd version 1.3 ... We were planning to move the web task
to a P90 Linux box, but was very disappointed when I noticed that Linux
was not fully supported with NCSA's httpd daemon version 1.4.

Luckily there's now a patch for the NCSA httpd 1.4 for Linux, and it looks
like its running OK.

Robert
--
++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++
|| R.M. Stockmann            ||   Delft University of Technology       ||

|| phone: +31 15  784395     ||   Section Industrial Catalysis         ||
|| home:  +31 1620 36177     ||   Julianalaan 136                      ||
|| fax:   +31 17  784452     ||   2628 BL Delft  The Netherlands       ||
++---------------------------++----------------------------------------++

1. NT WWW Server vs. Sun Sparc5 or SGI Indy Comparison Wanted

I am trying to make a decision between a dual processor pentium running NT and
Sparcstation for a WWW server.  I am tending to lean toward the Pentium just
because I am more familier with NT than I am with Solaris

Does anyone have facts or experiences that they would like to share with me?
(I know everyone has an opinion, I'm looking for some tangible info.)

Thanks
Dave

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. scsi cdrom device files

3. Opinions wanted: HP vs SGI vs SUN

4. Who can help me about my Trident 4D wave sound card?

5. MS Certs. - am I the only one?

6. Please recommend a PCI ethernet card to run under 1.1.75

7. FreeBSD Web servers (was Re: NT server vs workstation for WWW server)

8. cost comparison for on-site vs leased www server?

9. Wanted: Pthread vs NT Thread function comparison chart

10. Matrox G400/Linux vs. XZ-based SGI Indy

11. I need to copy all SGI(indy) to new SGI(O2)IRIX 6.3