GNU Make failure with latest libc

Post by David Kindre » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The distribution has a message and a patch to make 3.x to fix the problem
so you need to get the source to make, patch it, and the compile it.  The
problem has to do with fixing a bug in the DIRENT or DIR stuff, I think.
Hope that helps.

GNU Make failure with latest libc

Post by Mark Nordbe » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

:
: Hi,
:
: After installing the latest gcc 2.7.2, libg++2.7.2.x, and libc2.5.26 downloading
: form sunsite GCC dir, my make (3.7.4) stops working.
:
: Make seems to ignore its defaults (Makefile, makefile).  I have to explicitely
: issue 'make -f Makefile' for force it.  This also breaks other complilation which
: has subdirectories.  The problem exists even though I recomplile make source.
: I cannot complile the kernel any more.
:
: I am thinking for reinstall my system, but any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
:
: By the way, my orignal system is from Slackware 3.0 distribution.
:
: ---
:

There was a bug in the old libc that make depended on.  Get the make source code
and apply the patch at the end of the release note for the libc and recompile
make (make -f Makefile to compile it) and install it.  Your make will work
fine again.

--mark
--
Mark Nordberg            \  Junior MTE

                             \______________________________________

Post by Dan Tr » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

After installing the latest gcc 2.7.2, libg++2.7.2.x, and libc2.5.26 downloading
form sunsite GCC dir, my make (3.7.4) stops working.

Make seems to ignore its defaults (Makefile, makefile).  I have to explicitely
issue 'make -f Makefile' for force it.  This also breaks other complilation which
has subdirectories.  The problem exists even though I recomplile make source.
I cannot complile the kernel any more.

I am thinking for reinstall my system, but any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

By the way, my orignal system is from Slackware 3.0 distribution.

---

Dan Tran (x22637)

GNU Make failure with latest libc

Post by Dirk Rogal » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

:
: Hi,
:
: After installing the latest gcc 2.7.2, libg++2.7.2.x, and libc2.5.26 downloading
: form sunsite GCC dir, my make (3.7.4) stops working.
:
: Make seems to ignore its defaults (Makefile, makefile).  I have to explicitely
: issue 'make -f Makefile' for force it.  This also breaks other complilation which
: has subdirectories.  The problem exists even though I recomplile make source.
: I cannot complile the kernel any more.
:
: I am thinking for reinstall my system, but any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
:
: By the way, my orignal system is from Slackware 3.0 distribution.

I faced *excatly* the same problem with the *same* software-config!

make 3.7.2.1 (in aout-format) works correct under these conditions, but this
is not certainly satisfying.
Conclusion: make-3.7.4 has probs!

I used strace to find out, what's going wrong with make-3.7.4.
Comparing "strace -f make clean"-output on Linux-kernel-sources it seems, that
nothing weird happens except, make-3.7.4 simply doesn't open the Makefile!

I successively reinstalled libc-5.0.9 and ld.so-1.7.3, with which I was able to
build the 1.3.45-kernel just three days before but make-3.7.4 continues to
refuse it's very function without a '-f <makefile>'-argument!

So, what's going on inside make?  Has someone single-stepped through
make-3.7.4 with gdb?

Dan: Thank you for posting.  Finally, I thought I really though I went dull.
     The next step I was intended to make was to rebuild make by myself, but
     I am going to spare me this experience.

Dirk

COPYRIGHT NOTICE:  The statements contained in this message are the
property of Dirk Rogalla, (C) Copyright 1995.  Notwithstanding any
express or implied license to the contrary, Microsoft Network is
prohibited from distributing, redistributing, posting, duplicating or
using this message, or any part thereof, without the author's express
written consent.

GNU Make failure with latest libc

Post by Frank Raci » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> After installing the latest gcc 2.7.2, libg++2.7.2.x, and libc2.5.26
>downloading
> form sunsite GCC dir, my make (3.7.4) stops working.

Take a look at the release notes for libc-5.2.16.  GNU Make depended
on a bug in libc, and broke when it was removed.  The release notes
include a patch for make so that it no longer relies upon this bug.
You need to apply this patch and rebuild make.

-FwR

Post by Yoo Chul Chu » Sun, 10 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>:
>: After installing the latest gcc 2.7.2, libg++2.7.2.x, and libc2.5.26 downloading
>: form sunsite GCC dir, my make (3.7.4) stops working.
>:

>make 3.7.2.1 (in aout-format) works correct under these conditions, but this
>is not certainly satisfying.
>Conclusion: make-3.7.4 has probs!

You should have read the release notes. It has a patch for make that works
with libc5.2.16. Of course, the problem is that you need make to recompile
make, which is broken! The easiest solution to this problem that I found
was to find an a.out make and using that temporarily to make the new make.

--
Yoo Chul Chung

Post by Dirk Rogal » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[...]
: [...]

All people who read this:

I apologize for the not RTFM, since the release notes for the new libc give
the correct advice for overcoming this problem (and the corresponding patch,
too).

Thanks,
Dirk

1. How are GNU-Libc and LINUX-Libc related?

Subject says all.
Dose anyone know this. I didn't find anything in the docs.

--

               Regards, johannes.

*Universitaet Osnabrueck*Institut fuer Semantische InformationsVerarbeitung   *
*Johannes Niggemeyer*Sedanstrasse 4*49069 Osnabrueck*++ 49 541 969-2580(phone)*

               Regards, johannes.

*Universitaet Osnabrueck;Institut fuer Semantische InformationsVerarbeitung   *
*Johannes Niggemeyer;Sedanstrasse 4;49069 Osnabrueck;++ 49 541 969-2580(phone)*

2. Thought I'd share a little good news...

3. Looking for an executable file compressor for ELF (e.g. Linux)

4. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

5. Caller ID Device

6. libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6

7. Turn off SloppyFocus in Xfce?

8. How to make the latest libc-lite?

9. Latest libc manual version ?

10. Latest Libc

11. latest version of libc?

12. procps 1.01 malloc probs with latest libc