Linux apps for 2M ham radio packet, etc?

Linux apps for 2M ham radio packet, etc?

Post by John Morr » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have bought Redhat 5.1 but have not installed it
yet.

I am also a ham radio operator and am thinking of
getting into digital radio such as 2M packet.

Since I know very little abt either subject
above... can someone tell me if there exists Linux
based ham radio software ....and if so where?

Also... does there exist a Linux app for
programming my Yaesu 50r handie talkie that is
like the  ADMS -1C?

Linux apps for 2M ham radio packet, etc?

Post by Jan Pantelt » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have bought Redhat 5.1 but have not installed it
>yet.

>I am also a ham radio operator and am thinking of
>getting into digital radio such as 2M packet.

>Since I know very little abt either subject
>above... can someone tell me if there exists Linux
>based ham radio software ....and if so where?

ftp sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/ham/
All ax25 stuff is there.

Quote:>Also... does there exist a Linux app for
>programming my Yaesu 50r handie talkie that is
>like the  ADMS -1C?

No idea.

Post by Ric » Sun, 07 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>I have bought Redhat 5.1 but have not installed it
>yet.

>I am also a ham radio operator and am thinking of
>getting into digital radio such as 2M packet.

>Since I know very little abt either subject
>above... can someone tell me if there exists Linux
>based ham radio software ....and if so where?

>Also... does there exist a Linux app for
>programming my Yaesu 50r handie talkie that is
>like the  ADMS -1C?

   There's a substantial amount of Amateur Radio apps for Linux.  The
most notable is that AX.25 is included as a standard part of the
kernel.  There are satellite tracking tools, tools for accessing the
PACSAT's, logging software, etc.  Check out the HAM-HOWTO.

- Rich

--
Rich Mulvey
My return address is my last name,

http://mulveyr.roc.servtech.com

Linux apps for 2M ham radio packet, etc?

Post by kD5D » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

There is software for ham radio, I dont have the address off hand
of the sites, But the news group that you should ask these qustions
is in the rec.amateur.digital.misc

the outher news groups are
 rec.radio.antenna
 rec.radio.homebrew
 rec.radio.amateur.misc
 alt.ham-radio.packet

--
----------------------------------

Amateur Radio KD5DLQ
  LINUX has the power...
----------------------------------

Linux apps for 2M ham radio packet, etc?

Post by Nuno Miguel Fernandes Sucena Almeid » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> PACSAT's, logging software, etc.  Check out the HAM-HOWTO.

and AX25-HOWTO ...

1. TNT V0.9 Packet Radio Hostmode Terminal (Ham Radio)

Announcing TNT V0.9 for Linux
-----------------------------

TNT - A Hostmode Terminal Program for Packet Radio

Packet Radio is a name for a packet oriented data protocol used
in Ham Radio. It is a special adaption of the X.25 protocol.

TNT does NOT implement this protocol, it needs a TNC (Terminal Node
Controller) with WA8DED Software or The Firmware by NORD><LINK.
TNT uses the hostmode which is implemented in these TNC-Firmwares
(The Firmware is available for all TNC2-clones, AEA PK232 and PK88).

TNT has totally different goals than the existing programs or kernel
extensions (Wampes, NOS, KA9Q, AX25 kernel driver, e.t.c.).
TNT does not use the packet radio connection as an additional network
interface of Linux, it is simply a program to make packet radio connections
with a comfortable user interface (I hope so...).

In release 0.9 many new features were implemented, but still TNT is in the
development phase, the implemented features are quite stable, but new
features are under test and not yet released.

TNT features:
- uses Linux console or termcap entries, runs from remote terminals
- no special kernel requirements, no patches needed
- virtual screens for all connections, for commands and for monitoring
- scrollback buffer on all virtual screens
- logging of received data
- sending of files
- connect text with macros for time, callsign e.t.c.
- fortune cookie sending if someone connects
- remote commands
- remote login to Linux
- redirection of input/output of a connection
- binary file transfer
- logbook
- connect script
- internet socket, use of TNT by a user of a different host
- extended monitor to read other connections on the frequency
- boxlist, help for using BBS's
- NETROM/TheNet header analysis
- heard list
- keyboard macros
- password generation

TNT is available via anonymous ftp from
   quepasa.cs.tu-berlin.de (130.149.17.7)
in directory
   pub/linux/hamradio/packet-radio
with name
   tntsrc09.tgz (tar-gzip-archive)

This program is a little try to give back to the Linux community what the
Linux community has given to me (bringing back the fun to computing).

Your comments, ideas, code changes, new features are very welcome!

Best 73 from Mark, DL4YBG

(My internet access was down for 2 month, but now it is working again)

2. SVGA3.1.2B & TGUI9440AGi work

3. Linux & Ham-Radio (BayCom)

4. Booting Linux over NFS - how??

5. Ham radio networking with linux

6. Mail Server - Cyrus

7. Linux & HAM Radio

8. crc error after install linux

9. Ham radio software for Linux?

10. Ham Radio

11. FCC forces Ham radio operators to use ...

12. Unix ham radio control program

13. Anyone out there using LINUX with PACKET Radio ?