Output on serial console / input from keyboard

Output on serial console / input from keyboard

Post by Thomas Olschewsk » Fri, 17 May 2002 20:04:02

Hello,

I've an embedded system, which has to work without garaphics adapter but
with keyboard. So I added serial console support to Linux (2.4.3) , that it
can boot without VGA. However, now my app takes input from the serial
console only and I can't control it by keyboard.

How can I have stdin reading from keyboard and stdout working on serial
console? I've compiled the kernel with console support for both ttyS0 and
tty0. My idea was to close stdin  with close(0) and to reopen it with
open("/dev/tty0", O_RDONLY). But it doesn't work.

TIA for your hints.

Thomas

Output on serial console / input from keyboard

Post by Thomas Olschewsk » Thu, 23 May 2002 00:08:23

Problem was, that there is no tty console, when VGA console is configured
and Linux doesn't find a VGA. Problem solved meanwhile.

Thomas

Quote:> Hello,

> I've an embedded system, which has to work without garaphics adapter but
> with keyboard. So I added serial console support to Linux (2.4.3) , that
it
> can boot without VGA. However, now my app takes input from the serial
> console only and I can't control it by keyboard.

> How can I have stdin reading from keyboard and stdout working on serial
> console? I've compiled the kernel with console support for both ttyS0 and
> tty0. My idea was to close stdin  with close(0) and to reopen it with
> open("/dev/tty0", O_RDONLY). But it doesn't work.

> TIA for your hints.

> Thomas

1. Merging keyboard input with serial console input?

  I'm working on a driver for a PCI based PS2 keyboard. We currently don't
have a graphics driver so we're using a serial console. Inorder to show the
keyboard driver works, I'm display the scancodes on the LEDs. But this isn't
a very convincing demo. Is there anyway to get the keyboard's input merged
into the serial console's input stream, just as if I had typed them on the
serial keyboard?

  Mike McDonald

2. message logs

3. serial output and keyboard input

4. Disabling Messanger

5. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input

6. Can't get PHP calendar module working on Apache

7. /dev/console, output but no input

8. 8-modem pool for Linux

9. Async Consoles, output but no input

10. init: open(/dev/console): Input/output error

11. Redirecting input and output to serial port

12. Serial input, framebuffer output?

13. How to log serial input / output?