Linux and MS Exchange Server

Post by Ross Crawfor » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

John,

Use POP or IMAP. Most Linux mail clients support both.

ROSCO

> I would like to use Linux at work but we have a MS Exchange Server
> running the interoffice mail, common calendar, contacts, etc.  Outlook Web
> Access isn't an alternative because is very limited and, of course, it
> basically sucks.  My question is; Does anyone make an Exchange Server
client
> for Linux?  Is anyone working on one?  Thanks in advance.

> -John

> pls remove both sets of aa's.

Linux and MS Exchange Server

Post by Dan Bra » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Try HP's OpenMail. It can replace Exchange Server and so I imagine they have
a client portion that would work with Exchange.

Dan

Post by f.. » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Try HP's OpenMail. It can replace Exchange Server and so I imagine they have
> a client portion that would work with Exchange.

All these answers that I've come across 'bout accessing Exchance mail from
Linux have required some quirks on the Exchange end but because in many
places there is no way you can tamper with the NT servers (I know it sucks
but the IM department has invested big pile of cash to these suckers). So
what I've been looking for is a UNIX client to the plain vanilla Exchange
servers and the closest thing I know is Netscape Communicator using the IMAP
access to the mail and LDAP to the address book but still there's no way
using the calendar functions :(

Roope

--
MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

     +358 9 812 7567  /  +358 9 511 20585  /  +358 40 750 4480
             http://myy.helia.fi/~anttiner/index.html
       Nokia Networks - Radio Access Systems - Site Solutions

Post by Grant Edwar » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Try HP's OpenMail. It can replace Exchange Server and so I
>imagine they have a client portion that would work with
>Exchange.

Nope.

I asked one of the HP guys from the openmail project who hangs
out in the IMAP newsgroup.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  World War III? No
                                  at               thanks!

1. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

Hi all,

I will be modifying a LAN config in the near future and was looking for any
thoughts, mods, etc. for what I have in mind. Feel free to shoot it down in
flames - but do it nicely :-)

Currently, the set up is a single subnet, with a multi-homed box hosting
both MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server. This is linked to a
dial-on-demand ISDN router via the extrernal network card. All very
simple....

In a few months we'll be going over to an ASDL line, fixed IP address (or
range) and I want to secure the network appropriately. We may also want to
host our own web and ftp servers at a later date.

I've been looking through the newgroups and FAQ sites and a suitable set up
seems to be:

ASDL router

Linux Firewall -----------Future DMZ segment for Web and FTP servers

 Secured LAN with MS Exchange Server and MS Proxy Server

The firewall will be providing MASQuarading for the LAN - together with
packet filtering.
Any future web and ftp servers would be implemented with a seperate DMZ
network segment off of a third NIC on the firewall.

The following config is what I'm not too sure about....

In order to log web access and provide caching, we will keep the proxy
server on the internal LAN - but it will not be the firewall, just a regular
node with the linux firewall set as its gateway. Generally, all outbound
web, ftp etc access will be blocked except for the appropriate proxy server
ports and IP address. Then any MS client needing internet access will use
the proxy sever via winsock etc. Any future non-MS boxes could access
through the firewall directly - having set up specific outbound rules for
their IP addresses on the firewall.

The MS Exchange server will be placed on the internal LAN - not the DNZ. The
SMTP feed will be routed through the firewall. ##### Does anyone have any
insights on setting up such a rule for IPCHAINS - can it be done when the
firewall is MASQuarading the rest of the LAN?

There would also be an internal DNS server handling cache forwarding to the
DNS servers of the ISP. This would be placed on the internal LAN.

Any suggestions, ideas, flames etc more than welcome.

2. cabltron 2100 ethernet won't transmit help!

3. Firewalling a Local Area Network with routers, MS Exchange, MS Proxy and LINUX.........

4. Pioneer cdrom in linux

5. Linux and MS Exchange Server

6. XFree86 and ATI Graphics Xpression woes...

7. HELP: Linux replacement for MS Exchange server? $

8. amd howto? It's way slower than normal mount

9. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

10. Linux client to MS exchange server

11. Creating a glbal address list with a linux server and MS Win95 Clients with Exchange

12. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

13. URGENT! Linux vs MS-Exchange as email server