problem with processing speed on i486

Post by Shanne » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

hi to all

i'm porting an application bulid on a ARM processor running on 36Mhz on to
i486 machine at 66MHz. But it seen that the application has run at a very
slow speed compare with a 36Mhz processor.

the system show that it is using it's full CPU time on the process. What
could be the problem?

thanks for all replys

problem with processing speed on i486

Post by spi.. » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

And verily, didst Shannen hastily scribble thusly:

Quote:> hi to all
> i'm porting an application bulid on a ARM processor running on 36Mhz on to
> i486 machine at 66MHz. But it seen that the application has run at a very
> slow speed compare with a 36Mhz processor.
> the system show that it is using it's full CPU time on the process. What
> could be the problem?

ARM are RISC processors. Processor speed comparison between different
architectures is meaningless. Especially when you're trying to compare a
RISC chip to a CISC chip.

RISC are faster. They tend to run on fixed instruction word length and each
instruction normally takes the same amount of time. (The idea RISC chip
should manage each instruction in one clock cycle).

CISC may take 10 clock cycles to complete a complex instruction, so a 66Mhz
486 may be the equivalent of a 6.6Mhz ARM.

(A bit over-simplified, but that's the general idea)

No. I'll respond to the group. IF you can't be bothered to read it....

|   Andrew Halliwell Bsc   | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|            in            |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|     Computer science     |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

Post by fred smit » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: hi to all

: i'm porting an application bulid on a ARM processor running on 36Mhz on to
: a
: i486 machine at 66MHz. But it seen that the application has run at a very
: slow speed compare with a 36Mhz processor.

: the system show that it is using it's full CPU time on the process. What
: could be the problem?

1) A 486/66 isn't very fast. Probably a 36Mhz ARM is faster, though I've
no personal experience with an ARM.

2) Another possibility is maybe the 486 has more memory than it can cache?
That's a well-known way to sink performance way down the drain.

3) Perhaps you need to push the "turbo" switch?

Fred

Post by Victor Wagn » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: hi to all

: i'm porting an application bulid on a ARM processor running on 36Mhz on to
: a
: i486 machine at 66MHz. But it seen that the application has run at a very
: slow speed compare with a 36Mhz processor.

: the system show that it is using it's full CPU time on the process. What
: could be the problem?

Intel architecture.

It is crap. And ARM is more-or-less reasonable RISC architecture.

I've once compared 120MHz Pentium with 25Mhz Sparc, and Sparc
outperforms. But that time there was other handicaps of Intel - it has
IDE drives and Windows NT OS, compared with SCSI and Solaris 2.5 on
Sparc.
--

1. problem with processing speed on i486

hi to all

i'm porting an application bulid on a ARM processor running on 36Mhz on to
i486 machine at 66MHz. But it seen that the application has run at a very
slow speed compare with a 36Mhz processor.

the system show that it is using it's full CPU time on the process. What
could be the problem?

thanks for all replys

2. Changing molrc?

3. i486-linux v. i486-unknown-linux

4. piping transfer log output to MySQL db

5. When i486 is not i486 architecture

6. PPP and linux on fas

7. Speed..Speed..Speed

8. file removal question

9. Linux Installation on an old i486 - problems with >2gig hard drive

10. just-fixinc gcc problems on i486 Solaris 2.4

11. Please help on problem compiling i486-linuxaout on ELF

12. DEC tulip + i486: Should I expect problems ?

13. problems with gcc-i486-2.4.5 on sunsite