FPU performance of Pentium vs. K6 vs. Ppro vs. PII

FPU performance of Pentium vs. K6 vs. Ppro vs. PII

Post by dowle » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

If anyone is interested in trying a few simple benchmarking tests,
I have just the thing. The binaries for the tests (a .tgz file)
and results I have so far can be seen at:

        http://morgul.fsh.uvic.ca/linux/fpu_bench.html

These are a second generation of programs similar in some respects to
some I had available awhile back, but, being adventurous, I decided to
call them version 2 instead of 1.1 :-)

In particular, I'm interested in results from people using the same
motherboard I used: ASUS T2P4 rev 3.1 with 512K onboard cache. If you
can fill in one or more slots in the table, please do so.

To run the tests, simply un-tar the file, cd into the directory, and
run the "bench" script. The results end up in a single file
(./results/summary.`hostname`) which you can edit a but and email to
me. I'll post again when there are a significant number of new
results.

--

Patrick Dowler
Victoria, BC

1. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

        Every machine and operating system has got its useful
purpose...

        I see no point in argueing with people which OS is better, and
which is worse, and what will survive and what wont...

        The bottom line is obviously the best OS is the one that make
the end user most productive.    Ive used quite a variety of software
from intel, ibm, MS, sun, GNU, DEC/compaq, etc,   and everything OS
has got its UPz and DOWnz, so depending on what you want to do with it
yer machine, probably determines what OS you run.

        So lets cut to the chase -  OS bashing is a waste of time,
and most of the time I'd say the person putting it down just hasn't
seen that particular OS's potential,  or should I say speciality....

      Hell,  Plan 9 has even got some interesting features.. <snicker>

       And all PC users know,  that no matter what use on a day to day
basis on the PC, that one day you will need to boot good ole ancient
DOS to do something...

2. downloaded rpm's via win95, how do i get linux to recognize them?

3. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

4. installing old gcc under LinuxPPC?

5. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

6. Accel Support for NVidia Avail

7. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

8. Redhat blocking email

9. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

10. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

11. PPro vs MMX (vs P II)

12. Dual PII 300 vs. Dual PPro 200 (512)

13. PII vs PPro