Threads in Linux

Post by Joe A. Grass » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Just a simple question.  I'm designing a simple Motif application and am
wondering if anyone knows if the Motif 2.0 libraries (sold by Red Hat)
are Threads friendly.  The program works fine until I start to even just
include the threads library in compile time.  Then it begins to fail
after just a few X events.

Threads in Linux

Post by Joe A. Grass » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Just a simple question.  I'm designing a simple Motif application and am
wondering if anyone knows if the Motif 2.0 libraries (sold by Red Hat)
are Threads friendly.  The program works fine until I start to even just
include the threads library in compile time.  Then it begins to fail
after just a few X events.

Threads in Linux

Post by Patrick Voig » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Just a simple question.  I'm designing a simple Motif application and am
> wondering if anyone knows if the Motif 2.0 libraries (sold by Red Hat)
> are Threads friendly.  The program works fine until I start to even just
> include the threads library in compile time.  Then it begins to fail
> after just a few X events.

  Motif 2.0 and the XFree86 libraries are not thread safe. The new Motif
2.1 will be thread safe. If you want to use threads in your X application,
all the X calls must be done within one thread. Use the other threads for
the non X related stuff.

ciao,
Patrick
--
That's not a trance you're in, dear.
It's a coma.''

Threads in Linux

Post by G. Sumner Hay » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

>   Motif 2.0 and the XFree86 libraries are not thread safe. The new Motif
> 2.1 will be thread safe. If you want to use threads in your X application,
> all the X calls must be done within one thread. Use the other threads for
> the non X related stuff.

Actually, you can compile xlib to be thread safe.  The Mnemonic browser
project is using a reentrant xlib so they can have spiffy threads all
over the place.

TTFN,

  Sumner