dual headed configs (svgalib and/or X)?

Post by Jamie Maze » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi -

 I'm trying to find out if there's any way to set up a simple
dual headed linux box with two svga cards -- preferably one
running X and the other accessible via svgalib (or X)?

 I've been "told" that two pci-svga cards on the same bus is
now a relatively workable possiblity from a hardware perspective.

 Can anyone out there point my in the right direction or even
tell me if it's possible before I waste any more time pursuing
this?

Thanks,
/jamie

--

phone: 617-253-5751(office)/-5792(lab)       45 Carleton St
  fax: 617-253-8943                          Cambridge, MA 02139

dual headed configs (svgalib and/or X)?

Post by Andreas Dilg » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to find out if there's any way to set up a simple
>dual headed linux box with two svga cards -- preferably one
>running X and the other accessible via svgalib (or X)?

> I've been "told" that two pci-svga cards on the same bus is
>now a relatively workable possiblity from a hardware perspective.

I've had a dual-headed config running on my (rather limited) machine.
It was (is) a 386 ISA system with a plain VGA and an 8514/Ultra from
ATI.  This isn't one of the standard dual-headed configs, but I got
it going with relatively minimal changes to the XFree server config
and code (basically linking both servers from the link kit to a
single binary).

The only problem with that config was that the 8514 and the VGA didn't
use the same bit endianness, and this caused mono xpms and transparency
masks to barf.

I will be trying again soon, when I get a PCI system with a Matrox
Millenium, and will use it with the 8514.

Cheers, Andreas.

--
Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
(403) 220-8792   Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they

1. xfree86 4.0 dual head config (mouse)

I have been running 3.9.17 for a few months
without troubles with a dual matrox G200 setup.
I installed 4.0 and I have two desktops, but I
cannot seem to move between them. My mouse stops
at the edge of the screen and will not let me drag
over to the other monitor as it did with 3.9.17.
I cannot find any mention of a change in mouse
behavior such as this. Is there a config bit I
missed?
+xinerama is not an attractive option given that
it does not like fvwm2 and I do. It has some
serious bugs with fvwm2 in line with the release
notes' warning.
Thanks,
/mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Serial communications

3. Dual head config for Matrox G400 Max?

4. linux on 2nd hard drive

5. Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

6. Solaris 8 Application not working on Solaris 10

7. Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

8. dos on R5

9. Problems with Dual Headed config and Xfree86 4.0

10. dual head + dual card: agp nvidia/geforce_256 and pci s3virge

11. dual CDE desktops on dual head 2.6

12. How to config AIX dual for dual attached disks

13. Matrox Mystique ands X.